What Else Did You Use Your Cake Decorating Skills For (Other Than Cake)?

Decorating By Magic Mouthfuls Updated 1 Jan 2015 , 3:00am by Magic Mouthfuls

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 1:19am
post #1 of 3

Just for laughs, I thought it would be fun to ask everyone how their cake decorating skills got used for things other than cake or edible items.

Recently, I was asked to present the story of Jonah & the Whale as the kid's talk at church.  I decided to do a puppet show - but in my little country town there were no shops selling any puppet vaguely representing a man (animal puppets only, no whales).  I don't have a sewing machine (it's in storage) not that I can sew much anyway ....So what to do?....  Use my cake skills of course.

So, using a 7" cake dummy sphere, I split it 1/3rd : 2/3rds and covered with flesh coloured fondant (dug out two holes in back for my thumb & fingers). Made a nose, ears, & eyelids from fondant, pink petal dust for cheeks.  Plastic googly eyes and soft toy filling from the fabric craft shop and dusted grey luster dust to make the soft toy filling into grey hair/beard.

Bought the smallest cheapest baby onesie from the department store I could find and folded over a felt square for a tunic, tied with rope.  Fondant hands on long dowels for the arms.  No sewing - just hot glue gun here and there.  voilà -  a grumpy (creepy) old man Jonah. (He could really be any Bible character man actually).

The kids talk went down a treat....and I still get people at church commenting how I made a puppet out of cake!!  

Downsides.... gosh it was heavy!! 

2 replies
winniemog Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 2:42am
post #2 of 3

AMy 11 year old had two days to make a scale model of the solar system - I was straight off a 27 hour flight from home from Europe and daddy had decided to put his head in the sand while I was away and hope I would sort it out when I got home - so we had no supplies to work with. What else could I do?

I grabbed a bucket of fondant and coloured it up. My daughter calculated the size of the balls for each planet and the distances between them and got rolling. We sprinkled the back board with edible glitter and took it into school. Well she got full marks, even though Saturn's rings were eaten on the first day.....and the teacher did send the project out of the classroom because she was on a diet and it smelled too good......

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 3:00am
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%