Baking By KarlaBakes Updated 4 Jan 2015 , 5:28am by KarlaBakes

KarlaBakes Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 3:28am
post #1 of 8

Today I made a batch of swiss meringue buttercream with this recipe:

9 large egg whites

2 1/4 cups  sugar

6 sticks of butter

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

The buttercream came out perfect,so i crumb coated the cake and put the cake and the buttercream in the fridge (because i live in a high heat, high humidity place), when I iced the cake, the buttercream  fall of the sides :-( if I move the spatula, the crumb coat "peel off" and the butter seem to be separated, I could see something like oil or melted butter.  Can someone tell me what did I dowrong? Or how to fix it? TIA!:)

7 replies
RebecaR Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 4:52am
post #2 of 8

Hello Karla Bakes, whenever I make a single batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream my recipe is 1 cup of sugar, 1 pound of unsalted butter, 5 egg whites and 1 T. of pure Vanilla extract. Since it looks like you did a double batch, the only way I can think of fixing it, is to add more butter to the buttercream. Hopefully it works. :) 

Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 6:35am
post #3 of 8

I think it was putting the icing in the fridge that was the problem.  When SMBC gets too cold it will not "stick" to itself and loses the ability to spread smoothly.  Maybe next time you can put the icing in a cooler with just an ice pack that's not touching the bowl to keep it cooler but not cold.

remnant3333 Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 8

I have a question. If you completely ice the cake right when you make the icing, then put in refrigerator will it still fall off cake if you refrigerator after icing it? I have wanted to try to make this icing sometime in future but not sure if I will if this is a problem with this icing.

Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Dec 2014 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 8

ANo, it won't fall off.

KarlaBakes Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 8

Thaaank you so much! Yes, putting the buttercream in the fridge was the problem, I was able to re-whip it after let it stand at room temperature, it was perfect again! Thank you :)

Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 12:41am
post #7 of 8

AYou are very welcome! I'm battling with my SMBC as well - it's maybe 60°F in my house and the icing has been sitting too long and got too cold to spread nicely. I took out a big dollop, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds put in with the rest of the icing and slow paddled it for a minute and all better!

KarlaBakes Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 5:28am
post #8 of 8

SMBC is difficult to achieve, but it's sooo worth it. That microwave trick has saved many batches of SMBC before!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%