How Are These Stairs Made On This Frozen Themed Cake?

Decorating By mymendedrose Updated 4 Jan 2015 , 1:39am by mymendedrose

mymendedrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymendedrose Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 4

Here is the link to the cake a lady wants me to make for her daughters birthday party.  It is due in almost 2 weeks.

I have a few questions, but mainly, how are these steps made?  On a few of the pictures it looks carved into the cake, and on a few it looks like maybe it is just fondant or modeling chocolate shaped and decorated.  

I saw a tutorial on here for using a carved out piece from the top  layer, flipping it, and using it to make the stair case on the bottom (or vice versa).  

Any suggestions?  Also, there seems to be a carved out spot on the bottom layer (behind the reindeer)... Any clue what that is?  I have NO IDEA what that is lol.. Looks like maybe a hole cut out to look like a cave? I may just not worry about that!!

http://www.prettymyparty.com/spa-party-ideas/

thanks!!

3 replies
embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 4

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/save-time-carving-a-spiral-cake

Take a look at the tutorial.  The cake in your link looks like a variation of this,  The stairs themselves to me look like frosty light blue buttercream with white lines to delineate each step.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "hole" because I don't see what you mean.  Do you mean an entryway at the top of the stairs?

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 12:39am
post #3 of 4

I think the "hole" is just buttercream coloured to look like rock and then piped over with "snow". The stairs look carved, airbrushed blue then piped with white lines.

mymendedrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymendedrose Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 1:39am
post #4 of 4

AHey! Sorry it took me a minute to get back!!

Thanks for the link to the tutorial :) that was shower helpful :) I think Your right about the hole not being an actual hole :)

Again, thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%