Leftover Gingerbread Cookie Dough - I Have An Idea.....

Baking By JewellerTracy Updated 30 Dec 2014 , 10:50pm by Pastrybaglady

JewellerTracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JewellerTracy Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 8

Good morning !

I made a big batch of gingerbread cookies this year, first time ever and they were great (yayy)

However, the recipe I used made way too much dough (seriously, waaaaayyyy too much). I put some in the freezer, hope that will be OK, and still have a little in the fridge. I'm still up to my eyeballs in cookies (I don't eat them and was short on visitors this year) but I really want to use the dough.

I am thinking that I will try rolling the dough out fairly thin and lining some small cupcake or muffin tins with it to make little tartlet cases....but I have a few questions for you experienced bakers out there as I'm new to this.

Here goes:

1. Will this work? I'm thinking I should blind bake them for part of the cooking time (or all?)....

2. Suggestions for fillings? I was thinking maybe a cream cheese frosting, although that may be too rich,  or cheesecake filling. Perhaps a chocolate ganache type thing, but again, may be too rich. Any suggestions of flavours/fillings that would go well with gingerbread and are not too rich and heavy?

3. Will the dough be the same as it was originally if I have kept it in the fridge for a few days or will it be different to work and cook with?

Cheers  :grin:

7 replies
ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 1:00am
post #2 of 8

AI think your tart cases idea is great! Think of things that naturally go with ginger. First that springs to mind is rhubarb and custard. Yum

JewellerTracy Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 1:58am
post #3 of 8

Oohh...hadn't thought of that. Thanks Ammcats ;-D

Difficult thing is that I don't eat sweet stuff.....

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 1:59am
post #4 of 8

Ause a flower cutter to cut them out before you put them in cupcake pans and you won't have to trip or shape. Gingerbread works well with pumpkin, so you could do mini pumpkin pies or cheesecakes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 11:36am
post #5 of 8

Atest a couple in the oven first -- my gb dough this year would all slide together and make a big deep round cookie if i tried that-- rather than keep the walls of the pie shell up kwim -- but halfway through the bake you can go in and squosh it back against the sides of the pan too -- carefully without getting burned -- then put it back in to finish baking -- test it out a bit beforehand -- I think cream cheese & apple sounds like a great filling too

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 8

Did this a couple of years ago for a New Year's brunch - baked the cookie dough as mini-tart shells, filled with lemon curd, topped with a bit of whipped cream.  They were very good when crisp, but even better after the crust had softened a bit.  But too long sitting and they collapsed into a wonderful gooey bite - fork food then, but still so good.

JewellerTracy Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8

Great ideas and advice, Thanks

Am going to try them today :grin:

It's quite a firm cookie dough, so hoping they will hold up.... Fingers crossed!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 8

AI wonder if the cups would come out better if you turn the mini cupcake pan upside down and shape the gingerbreadover the humps. I might try it with my leftover sugar cookie dough!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%