First Cake Competition - A Few Questions!

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 26 Dec 2014 , 6:39pm by -K8memphis

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

I'm entering my first cake competition at the end of February and have a couple of questions. Will the brand of fondant I use matter? I was planning to use Wilton since I could use 40% off coupons for it...unless for some reason I'd need a better quality or something...

Also, the design I have in mind for the cake requires tiers of all different shapes and sizes...(I'm entering the wedding cake category). I'd need to order dummies for this and honestly I really hate spending money that isn't necessary. I've already got a 4-tier dummy set that's just a regular round cake. The cake won't be as elegant if I use it, and I'm afraid if I do that it'll take away from the overall design and style of my cake. What are your thoughts? Does overall style of the cake matter, or are they strictly judging my technique? Thanks!!!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 5

i'm in west tn so i'm wondering where'e the contest at?

make the best cake you can is my advice -- each contest has it's own criteria of judging

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 5

most februarys i spend wishing for spring like most of the rest of the midsouth :-D might be good/fun/interesting to do a competition maybe

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 5

Cake Fest in Lafayette, LA! Check it out here: http://www.cakefestla.com/  they have a facebook page too! They are also offering a lot of wonderful classes!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 5

wow that looks so cool -- i love the feel of it -- seems wide open and fun already as one would expect from that part of the country -- if i took a class i would like that sculpting faces class on monday --

but i think you should get the dummies you want and go big with it -- you know about dallas foam yes?

it's kinda 7 hours away but i've got family around those parts a little farther west ...we'll see --

but i'd love to see your work and hear all about it 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%