Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By janetcentral Updated 7 Jan 2015 , 11:32pm by kakeladi

janetcentral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetcentral Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 8:12am
post #1 of 11

AI have been asked to do this wedding cake. I have too many questions lol. I have been making cAkes for 10 years all buttercream and whipped cream. Fondant is my weak point. How can I make that tux cake? Also the brides would like it to feed 500. IMO thats alot of cake. I don't even know how much to charge. She found the pic online. All your advice will be very much appreciated. [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3316124/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

10 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 11

You can refer to a serving chart to figure out how many tiers and what size to do (wilton or earlene).  Those would be  large  cakes at 250 servings per cake, and to cover such sizes with fondant would be challenging if you work with buttercream.  That being said, I would do  smaller cakes with additional kitchen cake(s)  for serving. Tons of pricing info on this site, just do a search.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 11

Ayou could set both cakes on top of a nice big sheet cake so if the big 4-5" tall sheet cake serves 200 that leaves the bride & groom cakes at 150 each -- when a big crowd doesn't see enough food or cake at the reception they leave or don't eat so it's important to have a good showing for a large celebration

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 11

great idea! K8!:grin:

-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2014 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 11

thank you, sq

janetcentral Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 2:18am
post #6 of 11

AThank you great idea setting the main cake on a sheey cake. How should I do the tux. Anyone seen a tutorial? Should I use modeling chocolate or dye brown fondant

janetcentral Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 11

ASo I came to a conclusion with the bride. i am making both cakes and then im also making basic sheet cakes covered in whipped frosting and will be places in the kitchen and Will be sliced to serve guest, then starting serving from the main cakes. Next question anyone seen a tutorial on making the tux cake? I am debating wether to do ganache or brown fondant to cover that tux cake.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 11

i've thought & thought about that cake -- i'd start out with the head covered in brown then stack that on the shoulders -- i'd lay the shirt on with the collar sticking up -- then lay on each side of the jacket  -- i'd probably use modelling choco or a combo of that with fondant -- 

there could be a better way but that's what i'd aim for and be ready to change it up as you get into it kwim

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 11

i wouldn't do ganache unless it's under the choco/fondant because how you gonna make that collar? idk

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 11

but you could do ganache if you then made the shirt and jacket lapels & collar out of choco brown fondant/modelling choco or whatever -- if you didn't mind it being different textures -- it would still give the look of a tux and some tuxes do have lapels made of the different materials than the body of the jacket -- but you gotta lay it on right the first time -- not too easy for a do-over on ganache --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2015 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 11

........How should I do the tux......

Being that your a b'cream gal I suggest you cover the tux cake in chocolate b'cream then use a triangle of fondant over it (all the white parts).

That will limit how much fondant you need to use.  One box from Wilton or such will be more than enough.  Just roll it out like pie dough and cut w/a pizza cutter:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%