Help For This Cake Design Please!

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 24 Dec 2014 , 3:55pm by julia1812

julia1812 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 11:49am
post #1 of 10

A[IMG ALT=""][/IMG] I have an order for this cake, well to make it look like this... It's one of those Russian dolls. It'll be 3D but laying down. Now, what I'm not sure about it is how to get the design right! It's gonna be a chocolate cake with smbc, fondant covered. Normally I would use white fondant and paint it with gel colors mixed with some vodka, but that would need to stay outside the fridge to dry and in 90'F I don't want to risk the smbc getting all smoochy. But if I slide it in an out of the fridge the color won't dry, or even worse, run into each other

9 replies
AAtKT Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 10

Frozen Buttercream Transfer?

Edible Image on top of either Buttercream or Fondant?

AAtKT Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 10

Buttercream or Royal Icing Stenciled or Piped onto the fondant?

winniemog Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 10

AWhy don't you fill your cake with SMBC but cover it in ganache? Up your chocolate:cream ratio so that it will be more stable in the heat. Then paint away, no need to worry about the fridge.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 10

i would do that in crusting buttercream and forget the fondant -- if you pat down each section you pipe to remove the piping lines it will come out just like a matryoshka doll -- i'd use butter and cream in the icing and fill with the smbc -- but butter melts too idk --

way cool project though -- you should make that picture a dome that can lift off and show another one under :-D

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 10

if you do the cut out thing -- don't use fondant or at least chill the fondant before moving/applying it to minimize stretch --- but consider using candy clay because it doesn't stretch -- but you gotta do the sides too yes?

julia1812 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 10

A@AAtKT: What is frozen buttercream transfer??? I can't get edible images done here unfortunately. That would be the easiest. Same for stencils...and don't know how to make a 3D stencil. @winniemog: The client isn't paying for ganache and with a bit more than 3$ per 100g chocolate doesn't come cheap where I live

AAtKT Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 10

You can google the details, but basically you pipe the design backwards on parchment, plastic wrap, or such things and freeze it to make it more solid and transferable... you then place it on your icing so when you peel the paper/plastic off it is right side out and finished...

-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 10

enlarge your picture to the exact size you want it and either laminate it or cover it with clear tape -- cut out the different pieces --

julia1812 Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 10

AHmm, some clever ideas! Thanks. Will have a little practice run and see what works...

Quote by @%username% on %date%