Massive Cracks In Cake

Decorating By makeherabaker Updated 29 Dec 2014 , 8:16pm by makeherabaker

makeherabaker Posted 22 Dec 2014 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 12

It's a 12in fruit cake

 

9 eggs

4 cups/16oz of flour

4 tsp baking powder

1lb butter

9oz sugar

 

There's one bottle of alcohol in it fruit has been macerated and at almost puree state.

 

It is cooked at 120C/250F for 4 hours

 

This is the second time I've made this but I can't remember whether it happened then.

 

It should taste great like the last one but the cracks are an eyesore and don't want to serve it and it looks like poop. Given the length of time this fruits soak for this isn't just a recipe I can practice each weekend. How do I prevent this happening?

 

 

 

11 replies
makeherabaker Posted 22 Dec 2014 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 12

I guess I could serve it upside down :sad:

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2014 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 12

i would dust the top with confectioner's sugar right before serving  -- i don't know how to prevent it -- but just cover it up in the meantime you could ice it even -- there are some great fruitcakers on here though so hopefully someone will chime in for you -- but do serve it --

cakebaby2 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 7:20am
post #4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by makeherabaker 
 

I guess I could serve it upside down :sad:

Thats exactly what to do and as K8 said dust with confectioners sugar. In the UK that would be covered in marzipan and then fondant so these little things dont show.

Its a very light colour for a rich fruit cake but I bet it tastes amazing. Happy Christmas x

makeherabaker Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 8:01am
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

i would dust the top with confectioner's sugar right before serving  -- i don't know how to prevent it -- but just cover it up in the meantime you could ice it even -- there are some great fruitcakers on here though so hopefully someone will chime in for you -- but do serve it --

 

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaby2 
 

Thats exactly what to do and as K8 said dust with confectioners sugar. In the UK that would be covered in marzipan and then fondant so these little things dont show.

Its a very light colour for a rich fruit cake but I bet it tastes amazing. Happy Christmas x

I'm in the UK :) but in my culture this kind of cake is only covered for a wedding. I still may do it even though I haven't that much time. Is there an alternative to marzipan due to a nut allergy sufferer? It settled a little overnight...very little as you can see there is still a large crack right through the middle of the cake:cry: :oops:

 

cakebaby2 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 8:09am
post #6 of 12

Turn that bad boy over so that the bottom is the top. Hmm a cultural thing....with that much booze I'm guessing not too rigid a culture so how about dark choc ganache flavoured with fine grated orange or clementine rind?

cakebaby2 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 8:10am
post #7 of 12

Zest! I meant zest lol 

julia1812 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 11:33am
post #8 of 12

ADid you level it already. Try, it will look much more even on top...

MimiFix Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 12

Most people won't notice a problem so you don't have to call their attention to it. If it's for a customer, you have a limited number of choices. But if it's for friends/family then you have several options as posted above. You can also make a glaze or icing from confectioners' sugar to hide the cracks. I melt a little butter, then stir in sugar and a small amount of liquid (liquor, cream, water, etc) until it's thick but spreadable.

 

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

makeherabaker Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 11:04am
post #10 of 12

The cake went down very well surprisingly. After merry Christmas my aunt asked whether I had made a cake :-) I think she is going to corner me for her birthday to make one also one of the guests received not a slice but a wedge to take home and sat and ate the whole thing..in one sitting I was surprised as it is very dense and alcohol ladden. Unfortunately I left the remaining pieces at mother's so did not have any to take home myself

MBalaska Posted 27 Dec 2014 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by makeherabaker 
 

The cake went down very well surprisingly. After merry Christmas my aunt asked whether I had made a cake :-) I think she is going to corner me for her birthday to make one also one of the guests received not a slice but a wedge to take home and sat and ate the whole thing..in one sitting I was surprised as it is very dense and alcohol ladden. Unfortunately I left the remaining pieces at mother's so did not have any to take home myself

 

Ah yes.......a woman after my own heart.  Good for her.  and congratulations on your success. Now time to make another cake !!

makeherabaker Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

 

Ah yes.......a woman after my own heart.  Good for her.  and congratulations on your success. Now time to make another cake !!

Definitely. Just need to find the right recipes for fondanting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%