Rum Balls Without Cookies?! Does That Exist?

Baking By craftybanana Updated 8 Jan 2015 , 11:49am by -K8memphis

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 8

So my husband swears that his grandma made the best rum balls without using cookies and she also used almond paste. Sounds fishy to me, the no-cookies part. Has anyone ever heard of that? What would you use instead of cookies? Nut flour? He also says they were soft and he has no idea what the recipe was.

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 8
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 8

I make my rumballs using crumbled cake, buttercream, chocolate, and rum.  Just dump everything in the mixer and combine until firm.  And then scoop out using a small disher.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 8

Food Wishes . com uses brownies...

8 ounces stale chocolate brownies, crumbled
1/4 to 1/3 cup dark rum, or as needed
4 oz dark chocolate (I used Lindt Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa)

Here is the link to their you tube. I haven't made this recipe, but I've made some other of his recipes and they have all turned out great. In fact, I'm making his gumbo sometime this week.

craftybanana Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 8

I think my husband is just crazy, He swears all it was was almond paste and cocoa powder, no cookies, cake or brownies,etc. I'm going to check with his Mom to confirm this though. I've made rum balls before with chocolate cookie crumbs. Thanks for the recipe links. I just wondered if he was crazy or I was, it's just him though, lols. I think he's hinting that he wants to eat the almond paste that I just bought. I will post back though if his mom does indeed have a recipe without cookies or cake.

craftybanana Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 12:25am
post #6 of 8

Okay, so my mother in law confirmed that my husband is Not crazy.... go figure. Well, here's her recipe:

Rum Balls by Aunt Jo

1 cup of Almond Paste

1 cup of Powdered Sugar

1/2 pound of Grated Bittersweet Chocolate

3 Tablespoons of Rum

1 Tablespoon of Butter

Mix all together thoroughly and shape into balls. Cover with chocolate sparketts (I'm assuming sparketts are like chocolate jimmies).

No cooking out the alcohol or melting of the chocolate or mashing of the cookies..... Guess I'll give it a go :)

craftybanana Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 2:39am
post #7 of 8

I made them and they were very good. Grating is too much work for me, so I used a food processor. The next time I just melted the chocolate, let it cool and then mixed it with everything else. Too much powdered sugar though, will go down to 3/4c because the chocolate sprinkles did not stick very well.

I did try making truffles (10 oz bag of mint chocolate chips with 1/2c heavy cream) and ended up with truffle dough that was way to soft (even after overnight in the fridge). So I popped some almond paste, powdered sugar, creme de cacao, and rum in them and made rum balls with it too. Note: the mint overpowered the alcohol so much that the only flavor you could taste was mint, lols.

On an earlier post, I was asking about creme de cacao. It smells like dark chocolate! How do you people keep from drinking the stuff?! I'm thinking chocolate canoli cookies with that instead of my usual Cream Sherry. I think I need to go buy more milk....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 11:49am
post #8 of 8

excellent -- i saved your recipe -- thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%