Sugar Flowers

Decorating By RPoutch Updated 21 Dec 2014 , 10:35am by RPoutch

RPoutch Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

AFirst time sugar flower maker here! Make the silly rookie mistake of using wire that's not strong enough. I need to make a topper with these flowers. Anyone any advice on how to do this without styrofoam?

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

double the wire -- twist it together maybe -- or triple it -- be sure that your wire is simply moistened -- in fact i wipe off some of the 'glue' so the wire is only moist 

HamSquad Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 6

AI hope this helps, take a stronger gauge wire that will hold your flowers or skewers. Make royal icing and pipe a mound on wax paper squares, stick the skewers in and turn the skewer or wire up-right with the mound on top in a Styrofoam square or cake dummy to dry for at least a 24 hr period. Clip the old wire off the back of the flower and glue the flowers to the dried RI mound on the skewer or wire with RI, for large flower, if possible, let it dry face down, if it is smaller flower, let them dry like before, with flower on top. Dye the RI green or leave white. I had to do this before, the same thing happened to me. This is an old Wilton method, you can find on the web - Best Wishes

HamSquad Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 6

ASorry, you can use sharpened gum-paste cones on wire and skewer as well!

Lfredden Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 6

I stick my wires into a small mound of fondant.

RPoutch Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 10:35am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Cake turned out fine. Phew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%