Collaboration Cake?

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 17 Dec 2014 , 7:12pm by Gingerlocks

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 3

Have you ever done a collaboration cake with a fellow cake decorator? I'm just wondering if it ever happens. Maybe you're better at fondant and someone else is great with royal icing. 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 3

in the work place mostly -- but i was the 'consultant' for my daughter doing a cupcake wedding for a friend and then i had my niece and great nephew help me on two family cakes -- but it's rare -- that's out of 40 years of work -- three times -- oh i just remembered i helped a girl once on her first wedding cake -- so that's 3 -- but all those weren't as much collaboration where decorators as equals came to the turntable -- as we were helping/assisting -- but in the work place yes it happened more frequently

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 3

I do one cake that I have to collaborate on. A very good friend of mine is a henna artist (truly an artist, that's her full time job). The cake's we have done are always beautiful, and its a real niche market in my area; there is a large immigrant population who want we have to offer and we are the only ones doing it. 

The problem is the price, with my portion aka the cake itself and her henna designs on the cake we are talking huge amounts of time and a huge price to go with it. We get ton's and ton's of inquiry's  but very few actual orders. Which takes time because I need to quote my part and then she needs to quote her's.

Then there is the whole other issue with collaboration...you start to butt heads; over pricing, are we exclusively working with each other for henna cakes? Is that "our" thing or can she work with other caker's, can I work with other henna designers? When will we both have time to do a particular cake? Its a bit of a mine field in all honesty; but because that style of cake can be such a high earner for us both, we do it. It has absolutely affected our friendship though quite negatively I would say. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%