Fondant Question

Decorating By aapoll Updated 18 Dec 2014 , 6:37pm by aapoll

aapoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aapoll Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 10

AIs there some product I can make at home to firm fondant? Silly question I know but around my neck of the woods, I can only seem to find Wilton products. I even went to Michael's last Sunday (2hr drive). The problem with Wilton products is that while some of them are fine, the gum-tex, piping gel, glycerine, colored dust, clear vanilla, ect have all been processed in a factory that also processes wheat, so that makes them a no go for me. So I'm looking for options to kind of firm up fondant without that stuff. Also any suggestions for gum paste would be great too.

If there's no other options, I will try and find a safe brand online, but being so close to xmas, there's no chance of getting anything quickly.

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 10

cornstarch

aapoll Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 10

ASeriously? Is it that simple? I feel like such an idiot lol

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 10

no no no no no -- feel good that it's an easy fix -- now i rarely use cornstarch in fondant that i roll out for a cake covering -- i use it for modeling primarily -- so be sure you knead it in evenly -- probably will need to rest after it's worked in -- if i need my cake covering fondant drier/firmer i let it set out at room temp and knead it and repeat -- i let the air dry it for me

aapoll Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 10

AThanks, I won't be using it in the cake covering itself, I just wanted to try my hand at making some cute little figures for on a cake. Since I have lots of cornstarch I will play around with some tomorrow to trial and error it before next week :). Here I thought gum tex or tylose was some magical stuff that you couldn't live without lol. I've got some left over mm fondant from 3 weeks ago... I think I might go play with that now... I'm such a kid haha

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 10

a lot of people use tylo$e and more power to 'em -- if i want something delicate like an orchid or full roses i use gum paste -- otherwise i use cornstarch + fondant -- i've make raspberry rose petals to scatter around cakes and on the cake table -- bows -- blossoms -- plaques -- whatever -- oh i made these like saturn rings to go around each tier of a cake once -- purse handles -- it's uber versatile --

one story is that i had about 20 minutes once to make an old fashioned nurse's cap to go on a cake and i added enough cornstarch that it needed no set up time -- obviously -- it went on and the graduating nursing students queued up and the cake was served pronto -- cornstarch is the bombshabomb -- so inexpensive --

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 10

I just used the cornstarch/fondant combo this weekend to make my first fondant bow (I posted it in my gallery).  It was almost shocking to see how well it worked! It really firmed up nicely and quickly -like K8 said.  fyi i used it with red fondant and I didn't have any blending problems. I really didn't use that much cornstarch either!

Good luck!

T

danilis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danilis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 10

Seriously, THANKS for asking that question. I've been a hobby baker for a few years and experimented with gum paste and tylose powder. I never would have thought of something like cornstarch and I'm so glad you asked the question.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 10

fwiw you're welcome for the answer :-D 

aapoll Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 10

ATotally off my topic, but k8 your avatar pic, that dog looks just like a dog a had to give away about 5 years ago. She was the greatest little dog and was my oldest sons best friend. I just love seeing that pic on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%