Lmf Fondant Problems

Decorating By melbakescakes Updated 18 Dec 2014 , 2:29pm by melbakescakes

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 3:39am
post #1 of 7

ADoes anyone else use this recipe? Lately, if not using the fondant right when I make it it is losing elasticity. The only thing I can think of is I bought a 5lb box of wilton fondant and used half the package and saved the other half in the tin bag.. Then made another batch later on. Any thoughts would be appreciated! I have had so much cracking and crinkling lately!

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 7

ADid both batches turn out the same?

juliana4sam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliana4sam Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

AI'm also having issues with fundant icing. I'm in Nigeria and I can't get marshmallow..,is there any other recepie I can use?

juliana4sam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliana4sam Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 7

AI mixed 1tbs glucose '1 TBS melted galatine and then I added it to my icing sugar. What am I doing wrong?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 7

let's be sure you're blooming your gelatin correctly  -- sprinkle, let it gel up, heat it but not too much like in this link:

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/blooming-gelatin.aspx

then i usually buy my fondant -- i have made it but i am no fondant genius -- i've made all different kinds but hey if you can get gelatin you could make your marshmallow going forward --

hopefully someone smart will answer shortly

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 7

I had a bit of a cracking problem the last time I used it after it sat a little while.  I think I didn't put it in the microwave long enough and I didn't knead it long enough before using it.  I put it back in the microwave and kneaded until it was stretchier more like taffy, then it went on the cake with no problem.  Hope this helps.

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 7

AThanks for the suggestions everyone! alfred den, I will try that! I am thinking maybe when I am making the fondant I am possibly over cooking my marshmallows or something. I will keep experimenting! Microwaving definitely helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%