Help

Business By camelia1977 Updated 17 Dec 2014 , 3:18pm by camelia1977

camelia1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camelia1977 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 4

ASuper new to this I was wondering if somebody to help me on pricing...I got this big order for a quinceañera and the customer wants 100 mini cupcakes 50 chocolate and 50 red velvet and 100 mini frosted sugar cookies with lace pattern..and I don't know what to charge! Can someone please help???

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

First of all, welcome to CC.  There are lots of amazingly talented and helpful people here and all are willing to share their experience and help you in any way they can.

As to your question - - please don't take this the wrong way.  If you don't already have your pricing firmly established, you're not ready to sell anything.  No one else can tell you how you should price your product.  No one else has the same expenses or uses the same ingredients or has the same utility bills or buys in the same quantities or takes the same amount of time to bake and decorate.  This is homework you need to do before you even contemplate setting up a business or selling the first brownie to your neighbor.

There are umpteen threads on here about pricing.  Please at least look through them.  There are several programs available to help you structure your pricing, but you have to do the work.  It takes time.  You can't get a quick answer from someone else who has already done all this for themselves.

I don't want to discourage you and please don't think I'm fussing at you, but this is something you need to do for yourself.  If you don't take care of the business side of things, you won't have a business to take care of.

I know I haven't answered your question, but we truly are here to help.  Getting all this worked out for yourself will help your business more in the long run.

Again, welcome aboard.

Jan

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 8:58am
post #3 of 4

Pricing is the most difficult thing to figure out when you're just starting.  Jan is right that it is something that should be figured out before taking orders but sometimes the business finds us before we're ready.  That's what happened to me.  I learned a lot of what to do and not do on this site.  So a place for you to start is DO find out what the going rate is in your area, DO NOT undercut with your pricing. Please DO read the threads about pricing here.  There are a few schools of thought, you'll have to sort through them for yourself - that's part of the work Jan is referring to.  Don't give up seeking information on this site, there is countless amounts of wisdom from very successful and seasoned bakers.  Most questions you will have can be answered by using the search bar.  Good luck!

camelia1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camelia1977 Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 4

AThank you for the response and I did do some research and found out what the going rate was in my area and we settled on a price.thanks Jan and pastry bag lady! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%