Buttercream And Fondant Help

Decorating By SassyBaker89 Updated 17 Dec 2014 , 1:41am by dukeswalker

SassyBaker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBaker89 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:42am
post #1 of 8

AHello,

I am new to cake central and also a new baker. I am having some trouble with rolling fondant onto my cakes without the buttercream seeping out the bottom. This is also and issue when I am trying to get smooth edges and side on the fondant cake. I have tried several buttercream recipes they all seem to get very soft once I have iced the cake. Please help!!!

7 replies
FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 4:56am
post #2 of 8

I would recommend covering the cake with a thin coat of buttercream then putting it in the fridge/freezer until it get firm. In the meanwhile, roll out your fondant, then when its time, take out the cake and put the fondant on.

To get smooth edges (which is a pain the rear end lol), i would recommend getting 2 fondant smoothers and using one on the top of the cake and one on the side at the same time focusing on the edges to create a sharper look. its kind of hard to explain, i would recommend watching a youtube video lol

Hope this was helpful!

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 4:58am
post #3 of 8

AFirst, don't roll your fondant too thick or it will be heavy and put pressure on your icing. I roll mine about the width of a dime. Also, I always put my cakes in the fridge for a few hours after icing them to stiffen up the buttercream so it doesn't move.

SassyBaker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyBaker89 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 8

AThanks a lot for the advise. I try to chill the cakes before rolling the fondant on them but the fondant gets very sticky and moist once placed on the cake. I use Wilton fondant. Any suggestions?

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 8

AYes it gets a bit sticky from condensation but that doesn't bother me becauseI can stick my decorations on right away. It dries up pretty quick.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureCakeBoss 

I would recommend covering the cake with a thin coat of buttercream then putting it in the fridge/freezer until it get firm. In the meanwhile, roll out your fondant, then when its time, take out the cake and put the fondant on.

I'd wait until the cake is firm before rolling out your fondant...it will get dry while you are waiting for your buttercream to chill.

Once it's thoroughly chilled, I get it out and put it on the counter THEN roll out my fondant (if it's a BIG piece of fondant, I'd wait to get the cake out so the buttercream on the top edge didn't get too soft).  By then, there is (hopefully) a little bit of condensation on the cake that will help the fondant stick.  If it's a dry day and not enough condensation, I put clean water on my clean hands and rub it all over the cake just to give it a little moisture.  And don't say OOOHHH, Gross!  We smooth fondant with our hands, don't we?!  LOL

Maybe that's what you mean,  but sounded like you mean to roll it out and let it sit while your buttercream firms.  I would NOT recommend doing that.

Just wanted to clarify!

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 12:04am
post #7 of 8

ABeesknees578 that is definitely a better explanation but exactly what I meant thanks! Lol

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 1:41am
post #8 of 8

AFor sure, only attempt to put fondant on a totally chilled cake - think several hours in the fridge. It should be nice and firm and will hold up to you messing with the fondant. If you live in an area with lots of humidity you will need to work quickly so that the moisture from the cake allows the fondant to stick to it but not so the condensation has time to make it's way out to the surface of the fondant and gets all sticky.

I am not familiar with Wilton fondant so I can't comment on that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%