It Sucks Beings On A Diet

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 23 Dec 2014 , 12:31am by Norasmom

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 2:46pm
post #31 of 56

so fat people have more carbon footprint too :lol: geez we're perfectly irredeemable, too much medical, too much money, too much disease too much food, fat etc.now too much carbon dioxide

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/where-does-your-fat-go-when-you-lose-weight

Quote:

when you lose weight, you exhale your fat...published in the British Medical Journal...most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide...It goes into thin air.”

this is too much she said exhaling sharply :-D 

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 3:16pm
post #32 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

so fat people have more carbon footprint too :lol: geez we're perfectly irredeemable, too much medical, too much money, too much disease too much food, fat etc.now too much carbon dioxide

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/where-does-your-fat-go-when-you-lose-weight

this is too much she said exhaling sharply :-D 

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftybanana 

My husband lost weight and all he did eat less carbs and replace them with protein and veggies. I also read that you should only eat until your about 80% full, lets your food settle so you're not bloated after a meal.

I lost weight recently on a diet no one should do.... a GI problem.... lost 8 pounds in about a week or two. Now I'm trying to gain it back, but stupid gall bladder is acting up so now to get that out first then I can go back to trying to gain the weight back. I have a problem where I can't eat when I'm stressed (and with an 8 month old I have to watch myself, ha ha).

But eat in moderation and low carb/high fat/high protein is what my hubby does, and what I try to do (a low carb Italian? yeah right!). Sugar tells your body to store the fat instead of burning it for energy, hence the low carb stuff. But you gotta watch those "diet" bars, most say low carb but are loaded with nasty things to make up for the lack of carbs. I prefer high carb/low fat... ha ha.

That's what I do. Well, what I'm supposed to be doing. Lol. I am partially on it and I've lost 3.2 pounds in two weeks. I'm planning on getting back on it 100% this week. I weigh in every Thursday morning.

zirarzirar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirarzirar Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 5:23pm
post #33 of 56

this is so boring.........

bakeforfun21 Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 5:55pm
post #34 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirarzirar 

this is so boring.........

I'm sorry we are boring you. I will make sure next time I only post something that will keep you entertained. Good day.

aapoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aapoll Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 6:28pm
post #35 of 56

ACalorie counting only works for people who are commited, can handle the math and remember to write down everything they eat. I have seen it numerous times where people fail to write down everything, miscalculate their "portion" of a meal, ect. Then there's the issue of "no set amount of calories works for everyone". Like I said previously I don't count calories, I don't believe it to be necessary if you have discipline enough to change your lifestyle. Vegetables have very little calories, so do a lot of salad dressings (especially if you make your own). You would be amazed at how much food you can actually eat in the run of a day if you stick to veggies, fruit and simple proteins.

If you change your eating habits and move a little more you will be amazed at how much better you will feel. Pounds will naturally drop off. Too many people are on a yo up diet. Follow a diet, drop the weight they want then start regaining and you repeat the process. Often times they end up gaining more then they lost. I appologize if I sound preachy, but this is one area of life I'm very passionate about. I am studying to become a nutrionist. I was sick for a VERY long time... Then one doctor came along and found out what was wrong... I won't bore you with that, but long story short, a few changes to my diet has fixed everything. It took a year to get there but I feel 99% most days.

K8... smoothies are an excellent choice, add some protein/greek yogurt and you can use them as a complete meal replacement...I always keep protein shakes on hand for an easy meal if I go somewhere, where I would have normally bought takeout. I also always have snacks in my purse. I love chocolate so I cheat often... But I will often whip up mug cakes made with banana, eggs or almond flour, cocoa powder, ect. I also don't punish myself... If I want a piece of cake I'm going to have it... But it's gonna be a small peice and I will probably throw in an extra hour of cardio.

Bottom line is, no specific diet works for everyone, and some of them are downright dangerous. I just highly suggest that you stop looking for a "diet". A diet is something that ends, you can't live on them for ever. When they end you enter maintenance and that's where people mess up. Just a little bit won't hurt....but those little bits add up.

wow that was way too long!

bakeforfun21 Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 6:32pm
post #36 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by aapoll 

Calorie counting only works for people who are commited, can handle the math and remember to write down everything they eat. I have seen it numerous times where people fail to write down everything, miscalculate their "portion" of a meal, ect. Then there's the issue of "no set amount of calories works for everyone". Like I said previously I don't count calories, I don't believe it to be necessary if you have discipline enough to change your lifestyle. Vegetables have very little calories, so do a lot of salad dressings (especially if you make your own). You would be amazed at how much food you can actually eat in the run of a day if you stick to veggies, fruit and simple proteins.

If you change your eating habits and move a little more you will be amazed at how much better you will feel. Pounds will naturally drop off. Too many people are on a yo up diet. Follow a diet, drop the weight they want then start regaining and you repeat the process. Often times they end up gaining more then they lost. I appologize if I sound preachy, but this is one area of life I'm very passionate about. I am studying to become a nutrionist. I was sick for a VERY long time... Then one doctor came along and found out what was wrong... I won't bore you with that, but long story short, a few changes to my diet has fixed everything. It took a year to get there but I feel 99% most days.

K8... smoothies are an excellent choice, add some protein/greek yogurt and you can use them as a complete meal replacement...I always keep protein shakes on hand for an easy meal if I go somewhere, where I would have normally bought takeout. I also always have snacks in my purse. I love chocolate so I cheat often... But I will often whip up mug cakes made with banana, eggs or almond flour, cocoa powder, ect. I also don't punish myself... If I want a piece of cake I'm going to have it... But it's gonna be a small peice and I will probably throw in an extra hour of cardio.

Bottom line is, no specific diet works for everyone, and some of them are downright dangerous. I just highly suggest that you stop looking for a "diet". A diet is something that ends, you can't live on them for ever. When they end you enter maintenance and that's where people mess up. Just a little bit won't hurt....but those little bits add up.

wow that was way too long!

I am learning to enjoy cardio a little more. I really want to get into jogging or biking.

aapoll Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 6:47pm
post #37 of 56

AYou know cardio is not fun at all when you first start out... Even just moving from one form of cardio to another. It hurts, it's hard to breath, you feel like you could pass out or die at any moment. It is however very rewarding if you keep at it. It's never easy, if it is then you're doing it wrong, but when you notice your endurance going up and your energy increasing, that's when you realize it's worth it.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:28pm
post #38 of 56
Quote:

K8... smoothies are an excellent choice, add some protein/greek yogurt and you can use them as a complete meal replacement

you musta missed the part where i said:

Quote:

... had a smoothie of almond butter, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, full fat yogurt, stevia, agave (oops) and some decaf green tea and water oh and two kale leaves -- 

bakeforfun21 Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:30pm
post #39 of 56

Quote:

what is almond butter? I've heard of it but I've never tried it.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:31pm
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeforfun21 

Quote:

what is almond butter? I've heard of it but I've never tried it.

it's ground almonds, spreadable -- just the same as peanut butter is ground peanuts --  aka protein

aapoll Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:50pm
post #41 of 56

ALol, I read it, I just couldn't remember all you had listed... Other then the almond butter and kale... I love almond butter especially on Granny Smith apples. Kale is super healthy, I juice a lot of it in the summer (especially since it's so hard you can barely chew it raw lol), if you can get past the look of juice with kale in it, it's really yummy.

Not to get into too much depth, but you should aim for .5 g of protein per lb of body weight a day, .75/lb when doing moderate exercise. Protein keeps you feeling full longer and your body burns more calories to digest it.

Almond butter is like natural peanut butter only made from almonds

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:54pm
post #42 of 56
Quote:
I appologize if I sound preachy, but this is one area of life I'm very passionate about.

everyone is passionate about their weight -- you do sound preachy

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 8:07pm
post #43 of 56

AThis is such a sensitive and difficult topic. I was just thinking, losing/maintaining weight is like cake decorating - one person's must do is another person's never do!

I do think the diet mentality is a difficult one - my mother welcomed me to the world of dieting when I was about 13 years old - and I swear I won't do that to my children! For me, on/off diets mess with your mind (and probably your body too) - you're better off to find a healthy balanced lifestyle and stick with that - because when you 'cheat' on your diet the only person you cheat is yourself. Our bodies are better at mathematics than our brains it seems!

aapoll Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 8:19pm
post #44 of 56

A

Original message sent by winniemog

This is such a sensitive and difficult topic. I was just thinking, losing/maintaining weight is like cake decorating - one person's must do is another person's never do!

I do think the diet mentality is a difficult one - my mother welcomed me to the world of dieting when I was about 13 years old - and I swear I won't do that to my children! For me, on/off diets mess with your mind (and probably your body too) - you're better off to find a healthy balanced lifestyle and stick with that - because when you 'cheat' on your diet the only person you cheat is yourself. Our bodies are better at mathematics than our brains it seems!

This is the point I was trying to get across... But in nicer, easier to understand terms. I honestly don't mean to sound preachy. I also didn't mean I was passionate about my weight... I meant I was passionate about nutrition and how each type of food affects the body and in which way. I will stop posting on this topic now before I find myself in hot water with some people and that is not my intentions at all.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 11:37am
post #45 of 56

A@Cazza1: I was not talking about obesity! I wrote "as long as it's healthy". But how do you determine what is the "right weight"? If you are skinny and tall you admire women who have curves and don't struggle finding trousers in 34 when you are 6ft8"! As long as you are within the normal range of the bmi it's okay in my opinion... And I agree with...who wrote that?...the issues obesity brings with it. In the EU someone just won a lawsuit against his former company for being sacked for being obese. Now obesity will have the same status like any other disability. And that means for some people they lean back and get fatter. I think some sort of reward system (from where? Government? Health insurance?) should motivate people to loose excess weight or help them find a way. Education all starts at home with your own children! And as yourself being a good example... Very tricky topic although some fellow bakers are obviously bored by it

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 12:52pm
post #46 of 56

Julia, they ran a trial in England whereby they paid overweight people to lose weight as they figured it would be cheaper than the drain on the health system.  They then got another payment if they kept the weight off for a year.  Most of them took the money and then started eating too much again and gained their weight back.  Very few received the second payment.

I am not particularly tolerant of people and their weight issues for two very good reasons.  My back has been stuffed for 30 years because of an inconsiderate overweight patient.  I got her a stool to hop off the X-ray table and gave her my arm to steady her and she jumped off without using the stool and put all her weight on me.  I have been suffering ever since and do not have a day without back pain and never will again.  I also go to an awful lot of trouble to keep my own weight off.  It is not easy, I know.  And how often do I hear overweight people telling me that it's alright for slim people they can eat whatever they like.  A few might be able to but most people I know of my age who fall within the correct weight ranges work at it.  It doesn't just happen.

Australia is trying hard to catch up to the US and England.  We have now reached 60% of the population being overweight.

cazza1 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 1:09pm
post #47 of 56

That's not to say that I don't have friends who are overweight.  It's almost impossible not to, in this day and age.

julia1812 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 7:45pm
post #48 of 56

AThat's true! I have some overweight friends too, that's why I know how hard it is to loose weight for some. It's a life long, life changing thing to diet, almost like going to rehab and then back home with all the temptations around... And for some, eating is very comforting too, so it's more like a "I change my habits" thing than a diet. But I guess this post was not only about obesity (at least that's how I understood it), and I still think that a HEALTHY bit of extra fat here and there is a matter of like or dislike. Some of my friends have very womanly figures and they pull it off in such a brilliant way. Now the UK study with the money reward gone wrong shocks me! Why would people purposely put their life at risk? Loosing weight AND getting paid for it? I don't know, don't get it. Sounds good to me, but obviously doesn't work. I'm not over weight and like I said more struggling on the other end of the scale. I don't like super sweet stuff (except my sodas) and don't like deep fried either. My grandma had a farm and I'm obsessed with fruits, veggies and meat since I was a child. We even made our own cheese and butter, had chicken,cows, pigs etc. And I was brought up eating fresh and healthy. I love my pizza, don't get me wrong, but would always prefer some nice sea food with steamed veggies over a burger if I have a choice. The only "problem" (I was told) is my reversed , not healthy) eating pattern of coffee (tonnes) for breakfast, a snack for lunch and 2-3 massive portions for dinner with dessert before bedtime :-D

cazza1 Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 11:17pm
post #49 of 56

I must confess Julia (though it's no secret on this site or to anyone who knows me well) that I am an absolute sugar addict.  We eat very healthily, apart from that, HA, HA.  We do eat our main meal in the middle of the day, however, and I do exercise every day to try and keep up with my sugar intake.  Still have times during the year where I have been excessive and have to diet to lose extra weight.  No sugar drives me bonkers but I do it.  Have had to lose 12-15kg a couple of times in my life and swore I would never do it again.  Get it under control when I put on a couple nowadays.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 12:06am
post #50 of 56

The tricky and controversial discussion of over-weight is interesting, as it is one of the only things that we must do to stay alive. We must eat, drink and breathe.

Three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food; or we die. Well, rule of thumb.

However, No One has to smoke, use one of the multitude of recreational drugs, drink alcohol, jump out of perfectly good airplanes for an adrenaline rush, gamble their paychecks, or even drive a car.  You don’t have to dye your hair, paint your nails, or put on make-up.

One may walk away from those things and never engage in them again, or be around people who obsessively do (at least most of the time.)

Not so with eating.  What to eat, how much, and how often are the business of life that each person chooses for themselves.  Is it a mental choice? is it a chemical biological directive? is it emotional driven?…….who knows.  If I did know, I’d be pleased to share all the knowledge of good health and happiness with all of you.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 3:06am
post #51 of 56

I bet your cakes are super delicious!  

Stop the dieting unless you have a serious medical issue.  Eat the carbs, enjoy your life.  We deny ourselves good food in the US and constantly think about weight.   This is a terrible obsession, particularly given since as a nation we are getting bigger.  If you don't deny yourself you will not continually make yourself feel guilty and your self-esteem will go up.  High self-esteem will make you feel confident and then you might actually stop thinking about your weight.  And if you stop thinking about your weight and get busy doing other things you might be pleasantly surprised about what happens….:D  But still eat the cake!

It might work to lift weights.  You won't "bulk up."  I lost 50 lbs lifting weights.  Cardio did nothing.  I spent an hour a day sweating on the elliptical for an entire year and didn't see results.  Then I was told muscle burns calories all day long.   I lifted very light weights at first, and even then I saw some results, without changing my high-calorie diet.    At first I hated it but just like cake decorating, it takes practice!

So everyone reading this, if you want some cake, EAT SOME CAKE!!!

julia1812 Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 5:50am
post #52 of 56

AOkay, a tip from my side: Scuba diving! Most relaxing sport ever, but the "cold water" burns calories in no time! When I was training for my padi owd instructor license, I lost 10kg (20lb?) in three month. And was eating like a pig on top -literally! Pizza for breakfast etc cause my body was at war, trying to keep up with my new "hobby" LOL

cazza1 Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 8:49am
post #53 of 56

They did a survey, either late last year or early this year, where people looked at a series of people who were underweight , normal healthy weight, overweight and obese (the underweight and overweight were considered unhealthy in medical terms).  The unfortunate findings were that most people considered the overweight people to be a normal healthy weight.  People are so used to seeing overweight people that they now consider it the norm.  What hope have we ever got of becoming a healthy weight society when this perception exists.

And I disagree with you Norasmum.  I talk to a lot of ladies in my job, as a mammography, and women who have lost a lot of weight also get an enormous boost to their self esteem.  Most of them admit that they would tell people that they were perfectly happy being overweight when they weren't really.

And did you know that your risk of getting breast cancer (and most other cancers) goes up if you are overweight and do not exercise? I continually hear how dreadful it is, all the cancer going around nowadays, but people will not give up 'that bit of cake' to lower their risk. there, my harp for the day.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 21 Dec 2014 , 8:53pm
post #54 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

And did you know that your risk of getting breast cancer (and most other cancers) goes up if you are overweight and do not exercise? I continually hear how dreadful it is, all the cancer going around nowadays, but people will not give up 'that bit of cake' to lower their risk. there, my harp for the day.

They feel their entitled to it. Too many 'gimme gimmees.' I have two friends who are overweight. Friend A says she's going to lose weight while chowing down on a giant cinnamon roll, friend B says so while sipping tea. Guess who lost weight? The one who was sipping on tea instead of giving in to the cinnamon roll at 10am. Friend B is the disabled one who can't be very mobile because of her weight and MS and just recovered from having broken her arm. She has discipline that's for sure. Motivation never really works for long (kind of like me and video games, I get bored easily, ha ha).

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2014 , 11:10pm
post #55 of 56

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 12:30am
post #56 of 56

"And I disagree with you Norasmum.  I talk to a lot of ladies in my job, as a mammography, and women who have lost a lot of weight also get an enormous boost to their self esteem.  Most of them admit that they would tell people that they were perfectly happy being overweight when they weren't really."

You can disagree, but wouldn't it be nice if women liked themselves while in the process of losing weight?  And if they didn't lose any weight at all, wouldn't it be even nicer if they liked themselves any ways???   :lol: When you take something away, it makes you want it more…that's why I say eat SOME cake, not the entire cake, but some of it.

I am so tired of seeing and hearing women complaining about their weight and how they look, and hating the "diets" they are on….yet continuously denying themselves food only to go eat it anyways, maybe when no one is looking…and I'm even more tired of women comparing themselves to other women instead of just feeling great in their own skin.

Being overweight might be unhealthy,  but being depressed, dejected and miserable about it is really far, far worse.  Trying to achieve a goal that keeps being set over and over again is the definition of insanity.  

So love yourself no matter what your weight is because the mind controls what the body does… and if you feel good you might be inclined to lift those weights….

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%