Another Silhouette Question

Decorating By vlapinta Updated 20 Dec 2014 , 3:56pm by bonniekaye

vlapinta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlapinta Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 6:39am
post #1 of 6

I was looking into buying my daughter, who is a cake decorator, a Silhouette for Christmas. She will mainly use it to cut icing sheets. I have been trying to read on this forum but still a little confused.

Can she use it to cut icing sheets with the blade that comes with the machine?

Does she have to prepare the icing sheets from icing images in any way to go through the machine like taking the backing off or cutting down the side of the icing sheet or placing on a certain surface before it goes into the Silhouette? 

5 replies
bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 6

I use the Silhouette every day in my bakery. I print on gum paste, not icing sheets so I have to use the blade for gum paste. If you are only going to be cutting icing sheets, then the blade that comes with the Silhouette will be fine. You can adjust the depth of the blade to cut thicker materials, like icing sheets. If you want to do more that cut icing sheets, then you really need to invest in the kit from Linda McClure.

vlapinta Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

AThank you for your reply. Do you remove the back or leave it on when you put the icing sheet through the Silhouette?

bonniekaye Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 3:39am
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlapinta 

Thank you for your reply. Do you remove the back or leave it on when you put the icing sheet through the Silhouette?

I have found with most icing sheets I can leave the backing paper on. You have to do some test cuts to see what depth of blade you need and how much pressure to set the machine. You goal is to cut through the icing sheet, not the backing paper. Remove the excess icing sheet from around the design. A large straight pin helps to get into the narrow sections. If you cannot cut the icing sheet on its backing paper, try removing the icing sheet and attaching it to some card stock paper with some shortening. The shortening will make the icing sheet stick to the card stock paper, and the image will be very easy to remove.

vlapinta Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 3:47am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your response. Have you use the icing images icing sheets? If you have what blade setting have you used?

bonniekaye Posted 20 Dec 2014 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlapinta 

Thanks for your response. Have you use the icing images icing sheets? If you have what blade setting have you used?

The sheets from Icing Images are excellent. To find the best blade setting you just have to make o\practice cute, trying different setting and see which one works the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%