Help! Covering Cake With Home Made Fondant

Decorating By iram88 Updated 13 Dec 2014 , 6:40pm by iram88

iram88 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 7

AI'm actually losing my mind over this. Iv spent endless hours searching the net and I'm just more confused than I was to start with.

So I'm a beginner and started making classic fondant at home in order to bake my twins 1st birthday cakes myself. The problem I have is when it comes to rolling out and covering the cake. I can't get it to 1/8th 1/4 inch thick and cover the cake without tears and crumbles. The only way iv got around it successfully is by adding tylose but I hate that it changes the taste. Iv discovered on the net that its possible to cover a cake without any type of gum but I can't do it! And I feel like a failure. The recipe I use is; 8 cups icing sugars ¼ cup cold water 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) unflavored gelatin ½ cup glucose syrup 1 tablespoon glycerin 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, plus additional for work surface

Furthermore ready made fondants ingredients show they have some sort of gum but because I want to make my twins cakes from scratch I want to make the fondant myself.

So my question is how can I cover a cake with homemade fondant without the use of tylose, gumtex, cmc or gum trag? Have you successfully done it?

6 replies
TheNerdyBaker Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 3:55am
post #2 of 7

AHonestly, without any of us making up a batch of that particular fondant, we won't be much help.

Is it tearing because it just can't support its own weight, or it it drying out quickly and tearing from that?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 9:05am
post #3 of 7

If it is too dry then I would try adding a bit more glucose or leaving out a bit of icing sugar when making the fondant and if it is still too dry I would add a little more glycerine after making it and just before using it.

If you are not too attached to your recipe I use one that actually sound similar to yours and it is great, it is posted by costumeczar in the following post

http://www.cakecentral.com/t/775913/ready-made-fondant-vs-homemade

bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 9:09am
post #4 of 7

I just compared the two recipes and it looks like the one you are using just has too much icing sugar in it.

I must admit I do often add a little extra icing sugar to costumeczar's recipe but from my calculations yours has 1.4kg of icing sugar and I thing that even with the extra that I add I would only use 1kg so converting that back to pounds yours had almost a whole pound of icing sugar more than I think you should need.

In answering your original question I have successfully used the recipe that I referenced several times to cover a cake or Styrofoam dummy.

julia1812 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 11:03am
post #5 of 7

ADid you let your fondant rest for a day? I normally don't bother with exact amounts of icing sugar. You can feel when it's right and stretchy. Wrap it in cling film and rest on the counter in a zip log bag overnight. If it's too soft, add icing sugar the next day, or glycerin /shortening if too stiff.

costumeczar Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

That's exactly the same recipe as I use, but I make it in bulk ad I don't add the shortening to it. I hold shortening back and knead the fondant with as much or as little as I need to to make it smooth when I'm ready to use it.

Homemade fondant definitely does tear easier because it isn't made with gums, which most commercial fondants have. They also don't have gelatin in them, though, which is why a lot of them can be labeled vegan. I prefer the gelatin recipe because it's not as firm as the gum ones, but you do have to handle it differently and rolling it out to 1/8" thick is hard to do without tearing it.

You can add a tiny bit of tylose to your fondant and it won't change the flavor and will give it a little added stretchiness.

Something else I tend to do a lot, especially for 3-D cakes that have a lot of weird contours, is to mix some modeling chocolate or candy clay into the fondant. That will give you a fondant that's similar to fondarific or a choco-pan. The candy clay gives you more stretch, and it's less likely to tear. The downside is that those kinds of hybrid fondants don't ever really dry out, which on one hand is good for extending your working time, but can also be bad if you need to model figures. It's not the best option for anything that needs to dry, but it works well to make homemade fondant stretchier. I did a video on how to make candy clay if you've never made it, and just add it maybe 1 part candy clay to 3 parts fondant, all the way up to half and half. I tend to just grab a piece of candy clay and knead it into a larger piece of fondant so I can't give you exact proportions... 0.jpg 

iram88 Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 7

AI'm So happy to get so many answers. I'm willing to try anything. I always make the fondant in advance and use it a week or more later. I manage to cover the cake after a lot of kneading and more shortening then I roll it out thick but I would like to roll it out thinner. I think the tears occur because it is very dry and maybe the recipe I use does have a lot of icing sugar so I will try your recommended one by constumeczar and if that fails il try out the candy clay. My last resort is adding a little tylose. But ideally I want to achieve professional results without the need of gum.

Please keep your opinions coming. I'm happy to try anything and thank you all for your replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%