How Can I Accomplish This Look?

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 16 Dec 2014 , 8:26pm by MBalaska

bakeforfun21 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 16

I am trying to do a starry night themed anniversary cake. I am using a dark blue fondant for the base color but how can I accomplish the stars without buying the edible jewels? If I take silver paint (edible of course) and just splash it on will that work?

This is my design I cam up with. It's my first time designing my own cake. Sorry it's so small.

15 replies
petitecat Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 16

You could cut out stars in fondant and then paint in edible silver.

TheNerdyBaker Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 4:03am
post #3 of 16

AI think embossing would look better honestly.

Go to the craft store, snag a star stamp, decently sized, dip that bad boy in silver luster dust mixed with some vodka and stamp it in to a freshly fondanted cake.

costumeczar Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 16

If you do the embossing the cake had better be hard as a rock underneath the fondant or it will look like a bunch of puckers! The fondant stars painted with silver would probably be better.

I'd take some silver luster dust, make a THICK paint by mixing it with vodka, and paint the start on with a fine-tipped paintbrush. If you're using a light color on top of darker fondant it might not show very well, so you could also start by painting white royal icing onto it them going over that with the silver if it doesn't show up well.

Or you could just do the whole thing in buttercream and paint the icing on with foam brushes (so the hairs from the paintbrush don't get into the icing).I've done a bunch of Starry Night cakes and I did them all with colored buttercreams. It just depends on how comfortable you are with painting in general.

bakeforfun21 Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

You could cut out stars in fondant and then paint in edible silver.

I have the major stars figured out. I'm trying to create a starry pattern on the fondant that's covering the cake. Similar to this...Starry-Night-Cake.jpg

bakeforfun21 Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNerdyBaker 

I think embossing would look better honestly.

Go to the craft store, snag a star stamp, decently sized, dip that bad boy in silver luster dust mixed with some vodka and stamp it in to a freshly fondanted cake.

I have the major stars figured out. I'm trying to create a starry pattern on the fondant that's covering the cake. Similar to this...Starry-Night-Cake.jpg

bakeforfun21 Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

If you do the embossing the cake had better be hard as a rock underneath the fondant or it will look like a bunch of puckers! The fondant stars painted with silver would probably be better.

I'd take some silver luster dust, make a THICK paint by mixing it with vodka, and paint the start on with a fine-tipped paintbrush. If you're using a light color on top of darker fondant it might not show very well, so you could also start by painting white royal icing onto it them going over that with the silver if it doesn't show up well.

Or you could just do the whole thing in buttercream and paint the icing on with foam brushes (so the hairs from the paintbrush don't get into the icing).I've done a bunch of Starry Night cakes and I did them all with colored buttercreams. It just depends on how comfortable you are with painting in general.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 16

pipe royal icing dit dots -- use a parchment bag and just cut the tip really small -- 

costumeczar Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 16

These are just icing dots, you can see that they have some dimension to them. Pipe them on then paint silver if you like.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 16

and it looks like the couple little bits of elephant skin they used to their (starry night) advantage

remnant3333 Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 16

That is such a pretty cake. You can do it!!! Can't wait to see your final cake. I think your design on your drawing is nicely done.  

petitecat Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 16

I agree with everyone- those are just royal icing dots. Alternatively, you could use a brand new toothbrush and spray white paint on the cake, but you will get a lot more 'stars' this way. 

Good luck and show us your cake when you're done :)

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 16

petitecat -- yes in furniture refinishing it's called 'fly speck' where you run your thumb over the bristles so it sprays on the piece

petitecat Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

petitecat -- yes in furniture refinishing it's called 'fly speck' where you run your thumb over the bristles so it sprays on the piece

Very useful technique :-D

bakeforfun21 Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 16

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I will be doing this weekend. 

MBalaska Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakeforfun21 

This is my design I cam up with. It's my first time designing my own cake. Sorry it's so small.

@bakeforfun21 that is really great that you learned how to draw you own design like that. Cool!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%