First Fondant Cake Anxieties

Decorating By morganbarkley Updated 12 Dec 2014 , 12:34pm by 810whitechoc

morganbarkley Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 2:43am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone, I will be covering and decorating my first fondant cake this week and my nerves are a little stirred. I frost and decorate several cakes a week but always with a butter cream, ganache, cream cheese, etc frosting. The on-line tutorials I've watched  have me relatively confident that I can get my ganache as smooth as I need to and that the covering of the cakes (a 6" and a 9") isn"t going to be TOO challenging. But with Christmas 2 weeks away the inevitable special orders and requests are crunching in on my schedule and I'm worried about timing and some of the best methods of decorating. If I may, I have a few questions:

Would it be advisable to cover the cakes the day before decorating? The cake is going to be covered in different sized, different color, metallic/shimmery polka dots. I have heard that gum paste works better than fondant for making dots on a cake because they hold their shape better when moved and attaching. Any advice?  Also, I have no idea what the best thing to use is for attaching onto fondant. 

Any additional advice would be marvelous and hopefully help get me through! I've been reading these forums for a while and have learned so much from the everyone! Thanks!

2 replies
dukeswalker Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 4:18am
post #2 of 3

You'll find what works best for you and your climate but this is what I do:

1: Make MMF & color at least 3 days prior to due date

2: 2 days before I torte/crumb coat my cake and let it settle over night

3: 1 day before - In the AM, ice with buttercream and ice until cold (about 2 hours)

4: Once cake is chilled, cover with MMF and decorate as needed with all MMF decorations

Good luck!

810whitechoc Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 3

You will find everyone has their own way of doing things and you will find out over time what works best for you.  I always cover my cakes the day before, allow them to rest overnight then decorate the following day. I don't make my own fondant but use premade.  If you are concerned about your dots stretching out of shape you can knead in a little tylose/cmc, wrap and rest for a short time then roll out to the thickness you want. Cover with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out, use a circle cutter to cut your dots and use a small sharp knife to gently lift them.  Use a fine paint brush to brush a small amount of water where you want your dot to be and gently place it on being careful not to put fingerprints in the dot.

I find water is enough for something like a dot, but also use sugar glue made with boiled water and tylose or piping gel (lots of recipes around to make that) if you need to attach something a little heavier or intricate.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you ;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%