First Time Competition Winners

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 10 Dec 2014 , 12:20am by bakeforfun21

bakeforfun21 Posted 8 Dec 2014 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

Are there any first time cake show entries that won any prize at your show? I'm trying to boost my spirits about entering. 

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 12:50am
post #2 of 5

Winning depends soooooo much on what else it entered and the judge(s).

There have been times when I was so sure I had a winner only to not even place and other times I won when I didn't think I had a chance. 

This is one of those non-winners: http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/2105011/a/2106011/  didn't even place because the judge said (very pointedly) that "Nothing UNedible ever belongs on a cake".  I had used wire for the ivy strands;  this one also was scorned by judges (women's page editor from local newspapers) who refused to believe the fans were made from royal icing.  http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/1374005/a/1375005/

bakeforfun21 Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Winning depends soooooo much on what else it entered and the judge(s).

There have been times when I was so sure I had a winner only to not even place and other times I won when I didn't think I had a chance. 

This is one of those non-winners: http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/2105011/a/2106011/  didn't even place because the judge said (very pointedly) that "Nothing UNedible ever belongs on a cake".  I had used wire for the ivy strands;  this one also was scorned by judges (women's page editor from local newspapers) who refused to believe the fans were made from royal icing.  http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/1374005/a/1375005/

Those are amazing! How did you not win? So, how do cake shows work? I have never even been to one. Is it just an auditorium filled with cakes on display? Do you have to stay with your cake? I'm so excited but I'm so nervous at the same time.

kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 5

A...... how do cake shows work? Every one is different yet the ones I have attended/participated in are basically the same.

......have never even been to one. Is it just an auditorium filled with cakes on display? ........ Some are held in shopping mall empty stores; or in the walkways; some in other places. It all depends on who is putting it on - like county fair etc.

.........Do you have to stay with your cake?....... Oh no :) The judges don't want to know who made what cake - especially if one of them should know or reconize you it could influence the outcome.

........ I'm so excited but I'm so nervous at the same time......... Of course you are. I never got over being nervous when entering.

There usually is a designated time to bring your entries in. They are 'registered' and the committee places them or sometimes you are told what section to take them to. Then you are expected to leave. Once the time is up (or all the entries are there) the judges come out of hiding (ha ha) and start to look everything over. Most have a 'best of show' so that is picked out 1st before any other judging is done. Then they judge each catagory on it's own so you might get a 1st in the holiday catagory; a 3rd in b'day catagory and such. Just totally depends on what else is entered in that catagory. Even if there are no other entries in a catagory if the judges don't like what you have done - say it is not neat or the colors clash - they might not award it any place at all or just a 3rd. Each show tells you what the judging criteria (sp?) is such as: 50% on overall look; 30% use of color; 20% on creativity. Some stress neatness, others is it a copy or original? things like that. So be sure to carefully read the rules of the show. It sure helps if the judges know some decorating. One show I judged there was a much older fairly well know person also judging and she mistook a cardboard set of decorations (from Wilton) as being gumpaste. Then there was the county fair I entered where the judges were 3 newspaper editors of the women's page who know *NOTHING* about decorating. So don't get your hopes up to high. Use it as a learning experience. Maybe try 1 new (to you) technique but .....*don't* do the hardest decorting techniques you've never tried. Stay basic, well thought out and neat. Hope that helps y ou.

bakeforfun21 Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 12:20am
post #5 of 5

A

Original message sent by kakeladi

...... how do cake shows work? Every one is different yet the ones I have attended/participated in are basically the same.

......have never even been to one. Is it just an auditorium filled with cakes on display? ........ Some are held in shopping mall empty stores; or in the walkways; some in other places. It all depends on who is putting it on - like county fair etc.

.........Do you have to stay with your cake?....... Oh no :) The judges don't want to know who made what cake - especially if one of them should know or reconize you it could influence the outcome.

........ I'm so excited but I'm so nervous at the same time......... Of course you are. I never got over being nervous when entering.

There usually is a designated time to bring your entries in. They are 'registered' and the committee places them or sometimes you are told what section to take them to. Then you are expected to leave. Once the time is up (or all the entries are there) the judges come out of hiding (ha ha) and start to look everything over. Most have a 'best of show' so that is picked out 1st before any other judging is done. Then they judge each catagory on it's own so you might get a 1st in the holiday catagory; a 3rd in b'day catagory and such. Just totally depends on what else is entered in that catagory. Even if there are no other entries in a catagory if the judges don't like what you have done - say it is not neat or the colors clash - they might not award it any place at all or just a 3rd. Each show tells you what the judging criteria (sp?) is such as: 50% on overall look; 30% use of color; 20% on creativity. Some stress neatness, others is it a copy or original? things like that. So be sure to carefully read the rules of the show. It sure helps if the judges know some decorating. One show I judged there was a much older fairly well know person also judging and she mistook a cardboard set of decorations (from Wilton) as being gumpaste. Then there was the county fair I entered where the judges were 3 newspaper editors of the women's page who know *NOTHING* about decorating. So don't get your hopes up to high. Use it as a learning experience. Maybe try 1 new (to you) technique but .....*don't* do the hardest decorting techniques you've never tried. Stay basic, well thought out and neat. Hope that helps y ou.

It does. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%