Sugar Free And Your Dog -- Could Kill Your Pet

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 24 Dec 2014 , 4:51am by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 17

WARNING SUGAR FREE GUM/CANDY AND YOUR DOG -- get your dog to the vet asap if they eat orbit gum, etc. -- they are ingesting xylitol, a sugar alcohol used in sugar free candy/gum -- act quickly --

we got our dog to the vet within 2 hours and he's gonna be ok -- spent a night in the er, straight to the vet from there -- has to go back next week to make sure his liver is ok -- kaching kaching -- but thanks to my husband's quick thinking we've still got our angel baby in one furry piece -- who knew?

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

16 replies
lellylemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lellylemondrop Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 17

AOh no poor little thing, how did you know what he ate?

I would never had thought it would harm dogs , thankfully I don't let anyone give 'sweet' treats to my dogs , however you never know what they will come across when their out walking as they will eat almost anything if allowed.

Hope he gets better real soon.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 17

someone came in and plopped their bag on the floor -- chinny got in there and got the gum -- my husband saw chinny chewing funny and he got this all figured out while i snoozed on the couch even though he is the least likely to look anything like this up online but i mean who even knew to look it up in the first place -- was just a sweet act of god that we got chinny to the vet in time -- 

he's got a liver test this afternoon -- geez -- but he's doing great and i really miss his furry self -- he only had the collar because he has an intravenous catheter because of the repeated blood testing -- i hardly recognized him when they brought him out --

it's a kaching kaching though -- big bucks --well worth it of course but wow

thank you, lellylemondrop

lellylemondrop Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 17

ABless him, I have my fingers crossed for the little fellow.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 17

Oh Poor darling furbaby, I hope Chinny gets better soon. Thanks for the warning K8 , I used to have a darling girl that used to inspect handbags for treats.  The most she ever found was some chicken that a friend had popped in there to take home to her cat. Suffice to say kitty  missed out. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Dec 2014 , 3:22am
post #6 of 17

Wow! I didn't know. Thanks for the warning and hope your little fluff ball is okay soon.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2014 , 9:04am
post #7 of 17

and fwiw -- chinny had no noticeable adverse reaction -- i was shocked when the vet said his blood sugar was half the norm -- he would have started showing symptoms before very long but he seemed fine at the time --

and there was another dog there who had been shampooed with zodiac brand puppy shampoo and went into seizures -- so nix zodiac puppy shampoo too -- 

but thanks, guys! -- he's got another liver test next week -- and he's not his usual self yet but at least we're all back together and he's got his health back/gonna be ok -- so thankful!

lellylemondrop Posted 6 Dec 2014 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 17

AGood to hear chinny is back home you must be so relieved! . Good luck with his tests next week.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2014 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 17

Ayes i am! both his front legs look like poodle legs because they shaved part of each one for the catheters -- he's sleeping real hard like a furbound brick -- but he's ba-ack yay!! thank you

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 7 Dec 2014 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for the info.  I was aware of the xylitol issue.  My little doxie got into some way back, in toothpaste.  Very scary.  She is fine now, very little liver damage but she's good, happened years ago and now she is going to be 8.  Good thing your little one is perfect. 

Best wishes.  They are special little creatures.

lellylemondrop Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 17

AHi k8 , was wondering how chinny is doing? Is he all better now?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 17

that's so sweet of you, lellylemondrop -- yes his liver is undamaged all healthy and happy -- thanks for asking -- and he's got a little fur growing over his shaved legs so they don't look like uncooked chicken wings any more [shudder] :-D

msgf -- i can't believe it's in toothpaste -- i'm not doubting you i just can't believe it -- i guess technically you're not really sposed to eat it but.. idk crazy world we live in --

chinny says 'hey' which is southern for hello y'all

lellylemondrop Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 17

AOh good! that's really good news for you all.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 3:16am
post #14 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

WARNING SUGAR FREE GUM/CANDY AND YOUR DOG -- get your dog to the vet asap if they eat orbit gum, etc. -- they are ingesting xylitol, a sugar alcohol used in sugar free candy/gum -- act quickly --

we got our dog to the vet within 2 hours and he's gonna be ok -- spent a night in the er, straight to the vet from there -- has to go back next week to make sure his liver is ok -- kaching kaching -- but thanks to my husband's quick thinking we've still got our angel baby in one furry piece -- who knew?

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

@-K8memphis you have the most adorable dog!  Glad he's doing well.  Who'd of thought that would happen.  Perhaps none of us should be eating these weird new chemical concoctions.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 1:35pm
post #15 of 17

mb, thank you -- and seriously about the weird sh*t we eat --

but an amazing thing is how much lellylemondrop's doggie and mine looks exactly the same and they are different breeds even -- same coloring same body profile -- check the two avatars -- if i posted a picture of mine as a puppy you couldn't tell them apart ha! so cool

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 17

So glad the furbaby is okay K8. I have been so busy I just saw this and want to add at this time of year to keep choc and raisins, all vine fruits away from our darlings too (renal failure)

Your little dog is gorgeous and I'm glad he's okay. A very happy Christmas to all of you;

esp K8 and your generous advice,

Ms Alaska and the Hunk for basically moving to Alaska and snaring a hunk while baking goodies,

AZ Couture and her long Texan draw and funny comments,

Mimifix and her wee cuteness, just love her skill and that avatar I could hang her on a wall with the Queen (Liz the 2nd)

The CZ, what a woman....you could be Scottish you're so cool (probably are)

Its been a strange year but I hope all have a wonderful HOGMANEY....and if you are ever in Gods Own Country.....PM me...............................................I'll make it a Good One

Slaing!!!! xxxx

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 4:51am
post #17 of 17

Athank you, cakebaby, we were really lucky/blessed it all worked out and he is fine -- merry $1,000 christmas, chinny chinshoo -- no gum for you!

and muy merry Christmas to you, cb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%