How Do I Achieve This Look On Cookies

Decorating By KitchenEmpress Updated 10 Dec 2014 , 6:40pm by kimmisue2009

KitchenEmpress Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 15

Good morning everyone! I have an order for 200 cookies due next week and I'm stumped on how to achieve the look. They would like the cookies to say "Bows, Ties & Revelry" on them. Simple enough I guess.

My initial thought was to cover the cookies in fondant and then handwrite the words but maybe there's a more efficient way to accomplish this? I tend to be afraid of royal icing FYI. (plus I'm not even sure that's the best way to go about this cookie).  I also have an airbrush machine so that is an option. What would you guys do?  Thank you in advance! 

14 replies
kimmisue2009 Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 15

Do you have a way to turn that into an edible image?

KitchenEmpress Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks for responding Kimmiesue! I JUST purchased a printer for edible images and I ordered the frosting sheets and ink. The problem is, when I checked the tracking, it looks like my ink won't arrive until after the cookies are due.  :( 

Lfredden Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 15

You might be able to order the prints online.  I've never used them before but google gogocakes.

kimmisue2009 Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 15

Ugh.  That's the only thing I can think of - I know there are those with royal icing and piping skills, but if I had to tackle that, I'd just sit down and cry.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 15

i vote for the edible ink markers -- if you get the right kind they are excellent for this -- these americolor gourmet writers:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012DMI1S/?tag=cakecentral-20 --

cutting a stencil for your air brush is also a great idea -- i'm not that good at capturing all that detail in the font in a stencil that i cut but maybe you'd do better at that than me -- you and by you i mean me could at least spray that bow on then outline it with the markers --

that fine of details would show good on a nice smoothy smooth surface like fondant or royal -- but not on the plain cookie top --

best to you

it would be cute to actually make a fondant bow too y'know a 3-d bow or pipe a royal icing one -- ridiculous to transport though -- have to get creative with the packaging --

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 15

but as far as a stencil goes -- you could get the ghost of the wording and bow sprayed onto the cookie with the airbrush then just add the outlining to get the font/bow details -- or just use the stencil with the markers too -- it's nice to have all that wording mapped out -- the less i have to think the better

-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 15

you can trim the tips of the americolor writers to make a fine line marker too

KitchenEmpress Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 15

Now that's an excellent idea!  Thank you for the suggestion.

KitchenEmpress Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you everyone..I can kinda-sorta visualize this working now thanks to you guys input.  I was having a serious panic attack:grin:

CindiM Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 15

Hi, I know you are waiting on sheets and ink for your own printer. 

I would print it the size you need and take it to a grocery store or a cake shop with a printer, who ever does edible images, and get them made for me. 

Then you only have to bake the cookies and fondant or ice them and add the images.  200 is a lot to make, and draw or write on them.  That is just my opinion.  Good luck!!!!

KitchenEmpress Posted 9 Dec 2014 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you for the suggestion! Luckily, the event coordinator changed his request so instead of having the image ON the cookie, he wants the logo printed on a round label and placed on the cello bags that the cookies will go in.  Whew! Crisis averted until next time! 

KitchenEmpress Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 15

Good morning all! just wanted to share the finished product in case anyone was curious.  250 cookies covered in fondant and individually packaged. 

PS- if you ever wondered how much fondant you would need to cover this many cookies... A LOT.  I used abt 5lbs of satin ice :shock:

Lfredden Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 15

ANice job!

kimmisue2009 Posted 10 Dec 2014 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 15

Indeed! You pulled it off famously! Go you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%