How Do I: Crumbcoat Without Lumpiness

Decorating By ServicePlease Updated 3 Dec 2014 , 9:16pm by makeherabaker

ServicePlease Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 3

AHello folks,

My parents love making cakes for people and really enjoy their hobby. I'm glad for them! But one thing that's been annoying them is after they crumb coat and roll the fondant on top it's oftentimes lumpy.

At first they thought it was the cake filling melting and expanding out, pushing the fondant and making it look lumpy. But even when they put very little filling in it still happens so they've linked it to the crumb coating.

Any help or tips appreciated!

2 replies
dkltll Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 3

If your buttercream is not smooth the fondant will not be smooth. After I crumb coat I always put on another layer and smooth it. There are several methods to this. I don't have the link but if you go to CC search and type in Melva and smooth buttercream you would probably find Melva's paper towel technique which I use religiously (always use Viva paper towels though - no texture). HTH Maybe someone else can be more eloquent answering your question.

makeherabaker Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 3

At 13:25 in this video he talks about shaving the side of the cake before any coating. He is making a wedding cake from the after baking stage

'if your cake is lumpy and bumpy it is not the best medium for fondant'

Quote by @%username% on %date%