Real Flowers, Cascading

Decorating By 61999 Updated 3 Dec 2014 , 5:08pm by Mel37

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 11:45am
post #1 of 4

Any advice on inserting real flowers into cake for a cascading effect as in this picture?  What do I need to tell the florist or request from him/her?  Food safety?  Is floral tape safe to wrap around floral picks and then insert into cake?  I heard some folks wrap the floral pick in masking tape or regular gift wrapping tape...but I'm thinking this is not food safe.

How DO you find out if a product is toxic or food safe anyway???

3 replies
makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 11:58am
post #2 of 4

Taken from this link Fresh flowers on wedding cake

Quote:

It is very important to take the necessary precautions when adding fresh flowers to a cake. The stems either have chemicals on them or the liquid (sap) that emits out of the stems are toxic. Someone could become very ill if they eat these slices of cake. So here in an attempt to give newbies something to do a SEARCH on I have made these guidelines to follow........

HOW TO ADD FRESH (REAL) FLOWERS TO A CAKE:

1. You can use the Wilton flower spikes....see link posted above.....to place your flower stems in.

2. You can use a drinking straw inserted into the cake and then the flower stems inside the drinking straw.

3. You can wrap them tightly in plastic (Saran) wrap.

4. You can even coat them in chocolate. Let the chocolate dry and then insert them.

5. I use a piece of either wax paper or parchment paper right up against my cake, trimmed to fit better, so that the petals are not touching the cake.

DO NOT just place the bare stems into the cake or icing!! They must be covered or protected somehow. Have you ever been the one to get that piece of cake at a reception and wonder just what that "funny" taste is???? It is the chemicals emitted from the real flowers. 

Please take precautions when using fresh flowers. Your customers will thank you.

Also stated in the above link is that floral tape has late in it so that will not be suitable for somebody with an allergy which cannot be guaranteed if the cake is being served at a wedding.

Flower spikes

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you SO much!

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 4

AHi 61999,

This link may also be of use when it comes to what flowers to use or not:

http://bsguk.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1154

HTH