Models Not Hardening

Decorating By Kimmy21 Updated 3 Dec 2014 , 5:35pm by Kimmy21

Kimmy21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmy21 Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

AHi am trying to make bits for my cake and a wheelbarrow, am using sugar paste with gum trag and leaving overnight before using, but it doesn't seem to be setting. When I put the handles and attach things, they just break off even though have left overnight to dry! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 5

Need some more information... What sugar paste did you use and what is the ratio to gum Tex u used? Where and how exactly did you place the item to dry and how thick is it?

Kimmy21 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 5

AHi, I used tesco sugar paste and used one teaspoon of gum trag to approx 250 grams of sugar paste. I left it wrapped in cling film in an air tight container for couple of days before using. Seems like it is drying but then inside very soft and breaks off!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 5

I normally use one teaspoon for 500g.

Are the pieces very thick? It sounds like they are not dried properly if they are still wet inside. What did you use to attach? Edible glue?

what I would try, is dry all pieces completely but separate and then assemble using edible glue (maybe with a cling film roll as support under the handle until glue is dry).

Kimmy21 Posted 3 Dec 2014 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 5

AHi, thanks so much, I'll try that! Much appreciated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%