Starting A New Cake Business But Need Advice....

Business By ckutzer Updated 2 Dec 2014 , 12:02am by ckutzer

ckutzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckutzer Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 15

i am starting a small cake business out of my home (mostly for my enjoyment)..  I live in Colorado and the law here for small home bakery businesses states i have to list the ingredients on all my cake boxes.  most of the good recipes i have found start with a cake mix.  To me, it seems tacky to list that in the ingredients, but to list the ingredients on the box seems taxing and woud be a long list.  Anyone have this situation in their state?  what do you do?

14 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 15

Many states have that requirement...  You need to list all the ingredients... This typically includes all the ingredients on the cake mix box... 

I know you are in Colorado, but maybe their department of agriculture has something similar to this:

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/FoodSafety/docs/CottageFoodLabelExample.pdf

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 15

AI do not think it's being 'tacky' when listing your ingredients. It is being honest and following the law.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, you have to list all of the ingredients in the cake mix you use.  Talk to the board of health inspector for your town.  Mine was very helpful in figuring out how to list everything on the labels.

ckutzer Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 15

AI didn't mean listing ingredients seems tacky, i meant listing that i used a box mix seemed tacky. Would you just list out all ingredients and not list that a box mixed was used as well? would you also list the allergen warnings that are listed on the box mix as well as your kitchen?

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 15

A[B]Would you just list out all ingredients and not list that a box mixed was used as well?[/B]7564602"]I didn't mean listing ingredients seems tacky, i meant listing that i used a box mix seemed tacky. Would you just list out all ingredients and not list that a box mixed was used as well? would you also list the allergen warnings that are listed on the box mix as well as your kitchen?[/quote]

Of course you have to list all the ingredients used including the ingredient list from the box mix. I do not know the specifics of the law in your area but in some Cottage Food State, you need to list the common allergens. Contact the office/department in your area who handles this for thorough and correct answer for all your questions. We can only assume from our own experience and what we read/hear.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 15

AYes you have to list every ingredient in a box mix. And separate from ingredients list you have to list allergens. People who watch what they eat will know that you are using box mix just by reading the ingredients list.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 15

ADo you have tried & trusted recipes that you are already using in your business? That's a pretty important step in havin your own business. What's the problem with listing all the ingredients? If you use a box mix, own it. Of you think listing box mix ingredients is 'tacky,' then maye you should develop new scratch recipes of your own, to avoid the *embarrassment* of admitting you use box mixes.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckutzer 

I didn't mean listing ingredients seems tacky, i meant listing that i used a box mix seemed tacky. 

Why is it tacky for customers to know you use box mixes? If your customers like what you offer, they won't care if it's scratch or mix. If you want to reach a target market that prefers scratch baking, then look around for scratch recipes. Good luck in your business!

ckutzer Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 15

AYou are right. Thank you!

ckutzer Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 15

AI have tried several scratch recipes but can't find one ad sturdy for carving or stacking. Really the best recipes i have tried include box mixes. if I list all the ingredients that are in the box mix along with the added ingredients, I need to find out but I think you have to list the largest quantity down to the smallest quantity last. do you have any suggestions as to how to do this?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 15

AAs far as I've seen, you list 'cake mix' (baking mix, or whatever you're using) and in parenthesis, list those ingredients. After that, list the rest of your ingredients. Example: baking mix (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, etc.), sour cream, egg, vanilla, etc. I'm in California, and that is acceptable according to my health department. It would be best to check with your own, to cover your bases.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 15

Yes, box mix ingredients first and then your added ingredients largest to smallest quantity.

ckutzer Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 12:02am
post #14 of 15

thank you!

ckutzer Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 12:02am
post #15 of 15

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%