My Homemade Gum Paste Won't Harden.

Decorating By emele Updated 30 Nov 2014 , 11:34pm by maybenot

emele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emele Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 8

I bought some CK brand Tylose and added it to Wilton Fondant  (1tsp per lb.) to make my own gum paste.

I molded thin (1/4in or less) lace items in a silicone mold and they aren't drying.  It's been 2 days now.  They are bendable.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you!

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 8

Well, to start with, you did what I call modeling fondant and not gum paste.

Which isn't a problem btw, I use it often since it's at least edible decoration...

BUT it won't harden as fast as gum paste. Days to dry sounds quiet normal to me. You could increase the amount of tylose, but be careful as to much might cause the item you formed to crack.

Otherwise make some homemade gum paste. A thin lace item will dry in an hour or so (depending on where you live) and will dry rock hard.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Emele,

Welcome to cake central!

I seem to have more luck, when I add a couple of teaspoons ( or 1 1/2 teaspoons ) of tylose to a pound of fondant.  I have also found that brand of fondant tends to be softer.  You didn't do anything wrong.  I am in Florida and it is really humid and I have to adjust for that. 

You may have to remake your lace or place in the oven on a low temperature. 

Good luck!

emele Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much Julia1812! 

I wasn't aware that what I made was "modeling fondant" (which makes sense now).  I followed a recipe that called it "gum paste". 

I was freaking out!  :)  I guess I'll have to buy some ready made gum paste or gum paste powder to make my own.

Thank you again!

emele Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you CindiM!

I've ready in many places that placing it in the oven (low temp or just light on) dries it quicker.  But I was afraid that it would make it sticky. 

I'm going to try that.  I still have a week before I have to actually deliver the cake, so I still have time to figure things out.  :) 

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

AI recently made flowers using the new wilton red fondant and adding 2tsp of Tylose to 1 lb of fondant. Worked great.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 8

AEmile Yes, do place your lace in the oven with the oven light on. I place on oven rack at the highest closest to the light. It will probably be dry in 24 hrs. Do this all the time, works great.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 8

The old Wilton fondant was pretty good at 1 tsp./lb, but the new stuff is a lot softer.  I think 1.5-2tsp./lb. would work better.

If in a hurry, I put the item in the oven on the lowest setting [mine is 170F] for an hour, or so.  It usually does the job.

With a day, or so, I put it in the oven with just the light on.  I like that option because I can leave it on overnight.

With a week to go, I put the item on a piece of soft, flat, open cell foam, maybe with a small fan trained on it.

If the piece is small enough, a dehydrator works perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%