-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 10

i'd use coconut for that -- chop it up first

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 10

Sparkling Sugar.  

Honestly, I'd NEVER use coconut.  Too many people hate coconut or are alergic to it.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 10

I'd also go with coconut (unsweetened coconut shredded and packed). Never heard of a coconut allergy, but guess that's always a risk (as is milk and flour). But if you got an order for the cake you can check with the customer...

Otherwise, yes, like leah_s said, sugar, or maybe you could use crushed meringue, shredded white marshmallows, finely grated white chocolate, shredded waffle paper (don't know if that is the correct name, but you know the thin round, white waffles you get in church)....

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 12:47am
post #5 of 10

You mean like the....H..t?  Surely not? Even for cake....?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:31am
post #6 of 10

You can buy communion wafers and grind them up, they're not considered to be holy until they're blessed right before communion, but why would you want to? They taste like butt. If you use wafer paper it's basically same butt-y flavor, and I wouldn't put that on the outside of a cake no matter how trendy it is unless you can remove it before serving it. I'm with Leah on what's on that cake being sanding sugar, but that's awfully crunchy too. The crunched-up meringue idea is pretty good but it  wouldn't be shiny. It's probably sanding sugar.

For all of your communion wafer needs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BERFBQQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:32am
post #7 of 10

I would use white "sanding sugar".  I bought a small bottle at Walmart (though I'm not sure it was labeled as such).

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 3:15am
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

You can buy communion wafers and grind them up, they're not considered to be holy until they're blessed right before communion, but why would you want to? They taste like butt. If you use wafer paper it's basically same butt-y flavor, and I wouldn't put that on the outside of a cake no matter how trendy it is unless you can remove it before serving it. I'm with Leah on what's on that cake being sanding sugar, but that's awfully crunchy too. The crunched-up meringue idea is pretty good but it  wouldn't be shiny. It's probably sanding sugar.

For all of your communion wafer needs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BERFBQQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

Communion wafers! That's the name. Thanks.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry. We can buy them in the supermarket and use them as cookie bases.

Anyway, she was asking what it could be on the cake she posted, not what tastes good. Was just thinking of edible white items...

I use sugar to make sand only, doesn't look like snow flakes to me. But if it needs to be shiny, she could mix shredded wafers or coconut with luster dust.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 4:36am
post #9 of 10

ASparkling sugar - not sanding sugar, really does sparkle.

kpny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpny Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 10

according to cakewhiz site - they used shredded coconut.  http://cakewhiz.com/chocolate-snowflake-cake/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%