Bible Cookie/pastry

Decorating By akot72 Updated 1 Dec 2014 , 1:07am by akot72

akot72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akot72 Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 12:16am
post #1 of 6

AI have an old recipe from my grandmother that is titled "bible cookie". It's not complete and I'm trying to piece together the recipe. I can't find anything online and was wondering if anyone has heard of this cookie? It's a layered dough that fans out with filling in top. Any suggestions are appreciated!

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

Perhaps if you type out the ingredients and method you have, we can help. Or post a photo of her recipe and we can try that way.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Nov 2014 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

Is it this? http://www.cooks.com/recipe/hl9xb0ax/bible-cookies.html

That one you fold the cookie when hot so it would end up as 4 layers and in a fan shape...the filling would be a piece of paper with Bible verse on....not sure that is the kind of "filling" you had in mind?!

sannalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sannalee Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 12:18am
post #4 of 6

The only thing I can think it might be is Hamantaschen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamantash

akot72 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:05am
post #5 of 6

AThe recipe I have calls for 2 cups sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 tbl crisco, and 1 juice glass of water. Mix all together and use butter and flour to roll out the dough in 3rds and then 3rds again until you run out of butter. Refrigerating between folds for 15 min. You are supposed to cut the dough in oblong pieces. Fill with filling (my grandmother said solo apricot) and pinch. No mention on time, temp or how much butter etc. This recipe is about 100 years old but I was going to try and figure out the missing pieces for my grandmother. Thanks agian for the help and suggestions.

akot72 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 1:07am
post #6 of 6

AAnd they are called bible cookies bc the cookies look like a book and this was probably the only book my great grandmother had. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%