Cupcake Advice!

Baking By WesternGrace Updated 29 Nov 2014 , 8:47pm by Pastrybaglady

WesternGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WesternGrace Posted 28 Nov 2014 , 10:04am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

Brand new to Cake Central :) I'm looking for some advice for my first cupcakes for a friend's wedding. She has asked me to do 150 cupcakes with a mix of vanilla and chocolate, along with a small cake, which I can handle. Cupcakes are a newer thing for me, though. I've always hated doing cupcakes because I don't have the best technique yet, so advice is appreciated!

1. Are flat or round tops better for simple swirl decorations? Or is it just preference?

2. Any recommendations on cupcake liner brands? I've found a couple on Amazon that work with her color scheme, but wanted to ask about brands before I order. I would like good colors and non-greasy, since everyone will be dressed up and greasy cupcakes don't mix well with semi-formal clothing!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LX3FLDO/?tag=cakecentral-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049WWD46/?tag=cakecentral-20

3. Should the cupcakes be full to the top after baking, or a little below the wrapper?

4. Anyone have experience freezing cupcakes before decorating? She is getting married a few days after Christmas, so I really don't have much time to bake 1-2 days before, especially with the cake, too, so I'd like to make ahead and decorate the day before.

5. Transportation? I've been searching around on here and have a few ideas for this, but more suggestions are welcome! They have to make it about 15 miles, with a few hills.

I'm hoping that this event will help me build a clientele for my future cake business, so any tips of the trade will help out this self-taught baker! :-D

8 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 28 Nov 2014 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 9

Flat or round top for swirl?  Doesn't matter.  Can't help with specific liners but others have suggested getting grease proof liners.  Do NOT fill them to the top or when they raise they will overflow and make a mess and not have a nice edge.  Cupcakes freeze great.  Freeze them, take them out frozen, place in your carry container, put the swirl on right in the container and you are done.  You could buy the plastic things like they come in at the bakery or you could use a short storage tub, like an under bed storage tub.  Place them close together so they don't slide around or tip.   Transportation?  Use the flattest part of the vehicle, generally the back of a car.  Put some non skid mesh down so they don't slide around.  Make a batch of cuppies now and you can practice how full to fill them.  Put them in the freezer and in a few days practice the icing and container piece so when it is time for the real thing you will have your practice done.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 12:40am
post #3 of 9

AWww.cupcakeproject.com. :-D

kazita Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 12:55am
post #5 of 9

ANow im just throwing this out there...but you can buy silver foil reynolds cupcake liners at a grocery store...but im not sure if they are as nice and dont know how much they cost..

kazita Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 7:22am
post #6 of 9

AOk I just got home from walmart and I saw that wilton sells silver foil cupcake liners 24 for $1.50....just throwing that out there....

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGrace 

... I'm looking for some advice for my first cupcakes for a friend's wedding. She has asked me to do 150 cupcakes with a mix of vanilla and chocolate, along with a small cake, which I can handle. Cupcakes are a newer thing for me, though. I've always hated doing cupcakes because I don't have the best technique yet, so advice is appreciated!

I'm hoping that this event will help me build a clientele for my future cake business, so any tips of the trade will help...

Very important advice: Before the order is due, make sample cupcakes (using both vanilla and chocolate recipes) to see how they work. Bake more if necessary so the results are what you want. Hopefully, when you are ready to fill the order, there won't be any last minute surprises. Growing a business takes time and happy customers who will spread your name! Good luck!!  

PanickingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PanickingBaker Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 9

AI haven't ever frozen cuppies, but have read that some people have success with it. Try out your favorite recipe before go-time. This way you can modify. I've had great success with WASC that I modified a bit for my own taste and customer needs. I find that a little under a 1/4 c of batter makes it just right. But how much batter depends on the recipe, liners (they aren't all perfectly uniform) and desired result. They all rise differently. I know it's not much help but practice a couple times is really the only thing. Wilton's cupcake boxes help with transport but they're pricey and only hold 1 doz.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Nov 2014 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, definitely freeze the cupcakes!  They are actually better for it - moister, softer.  Hardest part for me is making the freezer space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%