Beer Mug Cake

Decorating By ehhicks Updated 25 Nov 2014 , 3:46pm by stefkovic

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 5

AHi? I am making a beer mug cake this weekend. It will be covered in icing. I'm using 6 in rounds and then th handle will be fondant/gum paste. Any tips/tricks on getting the beer mug look? Color? Thanks so much!

4 replies
dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

This cake was made from 4, 6in rounds of Chocolate Stout Cake and iced in Bailey's Buttercream.  I cut a square of wood and glued it to the underside of the cake base.  Then I found a dowel and drilled a hole to match the size of the dowel into the center of the cake base/wood.  I cut holes into the 2 cardboard cake boards that the cakes were on. Then I torted & placed the cakes on the boards with the holes in them, I iced the cakes & used bubble straws to support the bottom tier.  Then I used a skewer to find the center holes in the cake boards and then used a bubble straw to clear the way for the dowel (just inserted the straw and kept it there temporarily).  Once the cake was iced & chilled, I removed the center bubble straw & placed the dowel down the center of the cakes.  I lifted the cake and placed the cake/dowel onto the finished cake base and tapped the dowel all the way down into the wooden square.  Then I placed the semi hard, hand painted MMF wood pieces on the sides of the cake and added details.  (you can see the handle is being supported by a piece of home until it is delivered)

I made this one a few years ago - 4 6" tiers with supports.  I actually precut and repainted panels to attach to the sides of the mug directly to the buttercream.  Then I wrapped a black fondant band around the mug and placed "rivets" to make it look like the bad was holding each panel in place.  The handle was made several days in advance and dried with two dowels sticking out of the ends so that I could shove it into the side of the cake.  

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 1:22am
post #3 of 5

I made this one using American buttercream and just air brushed the amber color.

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefkovic 

I made this one using American buttercream and just air brushed the amber color.

How did you get the ridge effect to look so good?

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 5

AI just did it by running the tip of my small spatula down the side. It is very easy to get that look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%