Cakes Mixed & Baked In A Cup - In The Microwave. Had To Try It.

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 6 Feb 2015 , 9:53pm by craftybanana

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 3:04am
post #1 of 20

I'm having a laugh at this one.     Cake in a mug........who would have thunk it?   There was an article on making a single serving of cake in a coffee mug.  I showed it to hubby and said that it's just too tempting not to try.   So I picked the chocolate cake recipe.  Melt butter & real dark chocolate in mug, add egg, milk, sugar, flour, salt, baking soda.  Stir in the mug & bake the mug in microwave.  The whole ordeal took be about 4 minutes. I dug into the warm cake, and surprisingly it didn't stick to the sides of the mug at all.

Of course I have all of the ingredients sitting right in my kitchen, however It looks just like it does on her book cover.  It tasted a little eggy to me, but then who would put 12 whole large eggs in a normal cake mix batter.  But amazingly the texture and mouth feel of the cake was pretty darned good. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1909487198/?tag=cakecentral-20+cakes+mima+sinclair

See, now I'm wondering if I could double the ingredients and just put in one egg.  make it a two cup treat.......can one ever get enough chocolate cake. :grin:

just went back and dug out another bite, it's still a touch warm.  It's a bit crumbly now (didn't slow me down much.)

19 replies
MBalaska Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 3:26am
post #2 of 20

Oh I already have the fix.  I'll use my ceramic soup mug, double the ingredients and just use the one egg.  Then I can still say that I only made a little cake for ONE  hahaha

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 8:11am
post #3 of 20

AI would ditch the soup mug and use a soup bowl. Then you would still have space for a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 9:56am
post #4 of 20

What a lovely idea Ms Alaska, and a microwave is easily transported to any room in the house, attics, cellars etc?

No guest ever left deprived again x

MBalaska Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 10:08am
post #5 of 20

It was best when it was fresh out of the microwave.     Ice cream would be perfect, or a swoosh of whipped cream.  A hot chocolate cake in 4 minutes.  pretty funny.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 10:24am
post #6 of 20

I made microwave cakes years ago.  You need to eat them almost straight away as they don't tend to keep very well.  It is also easy to overcook them as they keep cooking when they come out of the microwave so you might wasn't to slightly undercook.  

Things like puddings also go o.k. as you eat them straight away.

cakebaby2 Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 11:25am
post #7 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

I made microwave cakes years ago.  You need to eat them almost straight away as they don't tend to keep very well.  It is also easy to overcook them as they keep cooking when they come out of the microwave so you might wasn't to slightly undercook.  

Things like puddings also go o.k. as you eat them straight away.

Is there any other way when one is alone in a cold dark part of the house? x

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2014 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 20

to eliminate the egginess, when i make things like this i beat the egg in the cup for a count of at least 100 by rolling a whip back & forth between my hands -- y'know with the whip standing up in the cup 

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 23 Nov 2014 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 20

I have a co-worker that mixes an angel food cake mix with a regular cake mix and just adds water.  Then nukes it all in a coffee mug.  She eats this everyday on her break in the afternoon. 

CoCo Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoCo Cakes Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 20

It's also great if you drizzle some hot fudge or caramel ice cream topping over the batter before you nuke it (of course since you've added the topping you have to add the ice cream and possibly some more topping :lol:).  YUM!

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 20

I have done this to make a jam pudding just put jam in the mug first then the sponge mix, it turned out well for a few minutes in a microwave and went great with some custard.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by vldutoit 

I have a co-worker that mixes an angel food cake mix with a regular cake mix and just adds water.  Then nukes it all in a coffee mug.  She eats this everyday on her break in the afternoon. 

I guess she must really like cake.  I think if I ate that much I'd be as big as a house.  Have you ever tried it?  Sounds SO WEIRD.  But then I eat my spaghetti with a dollop of sour cream on it so...  But really this is cake in a mug.  Much stranger.

MBalaska Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 20

here's a photo of my chocolate cake in a cup, 5 minutes from start to finish.  I'd never have believed it, had I not tried it myself.

cakebaby2 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 20

teaspoon of cointreau, whipped cream and we're all heading round to yours Ms alaska x

MBalaska Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 11:36pm
post #15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaby2 

teaspoon of cointreau, whipped cream and we're all heading round to yours Ms alaska x

;-D wear warm clothes lol.  I'll be doing this again in my 20 oz. soup mug with a double batch & only one egg.  I'll post result.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 12:34am
post #16 of 20

A

Original message sent by LNW

I guess she must really like cake.  I think if I ate that much I'd be as big as a house.  Have you ever tried it?  Sounds SO WEIRD.  But then I eat my spaghetti with a dollop of sour cream on it so...  But really this is cake in a mug.  Much stranger.

She does love cake and is as thin as a rail. Go figure.. I can gain ten pounds just smelling it.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 11:23am
post #17 of 20

MB does that mean your hubby is actually going to get one two,  whoops too!

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 20

I'm the only sugar addict in my house, it's all for me.......mine all mine.......

MBalaska Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 10:35pm
post #19 of 20

Ok it's 10 degrees f. outside, it's Super Bowl Sunday, and I'm ready to try this again.  This time I did the recipe by 1 & 1/2 to match the addition of a single egg (the original recipe was toooooo eggy.)   I used a big 20 oz. ceramic soup mug, instead of a 12 oz. coffee mug.  Microwaved for 1 minute and 50 seconds on high.....

My oh My.  It essentially made a single layer 4" x 2" round cake.  I wish I had some whipped cream or ganache......Ok Ok as I'm not adding any whipped cream or icing on the cake, I did add more sugar to the batter.  I'm really sold on this one person microwave cake.  It took me about 6 minutes to mix in the mug with a fork and microwave.   Now it's time for coffee and cake.

1 & 1/2 oz. BUTTER

2 & 1/4 oz. DARK CHOCOLATE (real chocolate Hersheys Special Dark bar)

melt in microwave for 45 seconds on high and stir until melted.

3 Tbsp. MILK 

1 EGG

1/4 tsp. VANILLA extract

add to the mug and stir well.

6 Tbsp, SUGAR granulated

4 & 1/2 Tbsp. FLOUR  all purpose

1/4 tsp. BAKING POWDER

pinch of  SALT

add to the mug and stir until combined.  Microwave on high for 1 minute & 50 seconds.      mmmm   heavenly.  perfect for just one or two people.:party: 

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 9:53pm
post #20 of 20

I saw this and then remembered I had a mini-book called "Mug'ems: Sweet Things. Here is the recipe for their Chocolate Cakelette: (T stands for Tablespoon)

Mix these together First:

4 T of Flour

3 T of Sugar

1 T of Cocoa powder

3/4 tsp. baking powder

2 T of mini-chocolate chips

Then mix these together in a separate bowl:

3 Tablespoons of water

1 small egg

2 T of veggie oil

1/2 tsp vanilla

Then mix the wet and dry together. Stir until combined, spoon batter into a lightly greased mug (one that holds at least 1.5 cups). Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.

Makes sure the mug is oven-safe, not all are!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%