"real" Cameos In Ri

Decorating By rowantree Updated 21 Nov 2014 , 1:24pm by Inga1

rowantree Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 2:49am
post #1 of 11

I've been looking here for a couple of hours now for info on how they make the realistic looking cameos on classic royal icing decorated cakes--the ones that usually have the square or round plates made of flo-RI, and have the lacy decorations and such.


They look like they have been molded, but are actually piped.  The RI must have some flo to it, but maybe they are done in layers?  Parts are translucent thin like the skirts or feather edges, others are thick and opaque.


Is there a tutorial somewhere on this subject?

10 replies
kazita Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 3:16am
post #2 of 11

AHuh?? Do you have a picture of what you're talking about....im lost..

kazita Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 3:30am
post #3 of 11
Inga1 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 3:31am
post #4 of 11

The book "Royal Icing" by Eddie Spence shows how to make those plaques. Just got the book in the mail. Can't wait to dig into it!

MBalaska Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 3:42am
post #5 of 11


Originally Posted by kazita 


You mean something like this....or no??


@kazita that is a very beautiful cameo.  thanks for sharing the link 

kazita Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 3:49am
post #6 of 11


Original message sent by MBalaska

@kazita  that is a very beautiful cameo.  thanks for sharing the link 

Youre welcome....I went back and looked at the finished cookie....way to pretty to eat!!

rowantree Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 4:49am
post #7 of 11



This is what I'm looking for.  Not molded of gum paste or fondant, but made of royal icing.


This is a better example of what I want to learn how to do:



rowantree Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 4:51am
post #8 of 11

If the rose is Royal Icing, then, yes.

rowantree Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 4:52am
post #9 of 11

I'm going to have to check that book out then.  I have Joseph Lambeth's, and did find lots of pictures there, so I may have what I need after all! :)

Apti Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 5:35am
post #10 of 11

This technique is called pressure piping.  Although I do not do this, I'm fascinated by the technique and skills of what can be created by a master royal icing artist.  Here's a book currently available on Amazon:



Inga1 Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 11



Above is the link on Amazon. This book teaches you everything you ever wanted to know about royal icing. Truly amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%