Ganache Won't Set Hard In Humidity .... How To Ensure Sharp Edges Once Fondant Applied

Decorating By NAvery Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 9:01am by mcaulir

NAvery Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 9

Hi ... We are experiencing extremely hot, humid and rainy (off & on)weather.  I have a two tier cake to decorate for the weekend.  I have made my ganache to my usual recipe Dark Chocolate - bottom tier ( 2:1) and the top tier is white ganache using slightly less cream.  I have let the cakes sit over night for 2 nights now and they are still not setting hard.  Can anyone provide me with some tip to applying the fondant without losing my sharp edges.  Also, will applying the fondant to ganache that has not set hard have any negative impacts to the overall result?

Thanks

8 replies
julia1812 Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 4:42am
post #2 of 9

ADo you mean your ganached cake was in the fridge for 2 days and it has still not set??? I guess something went wrong then

mcaulir Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 6:42am
post #3 of 9

In very hot, humid weather, you need to use substantially less cream, rather than slightly less. More like a 3:1 or more for dark chocolate, and 4:1 for white.

What do you mean by they haven't set hard? Is the ganache dripping off the cakes, or they make an indent when you touch them? If it's the latter, it might be OK, but if it's the former, I'd scrape the ganache off and try again.

winniemog Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 7:18am
post #4 of 9

ADefinitely you need to increase the amount of chocolate to cream for the future in hot weather.

Now, you need to put the cakes in the fridge till the ganache sets, and them cover them very quickly when they are set up.i think when you say you have let them sit, you've had them at room temp. If they've been in the fridge and the ganache hasn't set, do as mcaulir says and scrape it off, increase your chocolate and try again.

NAvery Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for you help Mcualir ... I will ensure that I change the ratio of cream to chocolate next time.  The fondant wasn't running off but was leaving an indent when touched ... so I took a gamble and covered with fondant that I had added a little GumTryc to and they have come up okay.  So thank-you! :)

NAvery Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for you help winniemog ... I will ensure that I change the ratio of cream to chocolate next time.  I've always been hesitant to pop ganache covered cakes into the fridge before covering incase they sweat or soften after I've applied the fondant ... Is this not usually an issue?  Thanks again for you help.  

winniemog Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

AThey can sweat if you've covered them in fondant straight out of the fridge but let them sit and come to room temp after covering them and before you touch them to move them and it will all be fine. In hot weather my ganache would not set at room temp, no chance!

NAvery Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks Winniemog! :)

mcaulir Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 9:01am
post #9 of 9

No problems - hope it works out well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%