Elephant/lion Safari Themed Cake Pops?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 1 Dec 2014 , 7:55pm by mmhassa2

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

Have an order for end of the month and wondering how I can make similar cake pops:

For the lion, do you think I can use royal icing for the hair? What tip is used for that look?

Now the hard one...how do I get the trunk for the elephant? It needs to be something light weight so the cake pop doesnt break. Fondant might be too heavy.

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

AThe lions manes I would say are royal icing, yes. They've done them with a small star tip. For the accents on all the animals, including the elephant trunks, I would say all those pieces were done ahead of time with gumpaste or fondant+tylose/cmc. They would be such small pieces that they wouldn't weigh much. And the trunks are cleverly (and cutely!) made into a spiral type shape so they are not sticking out from the head. Means they would be less likely to fall off, especially as you have more surface area to glue them to the heads. Looks like fiddly work, make sure you charge enough!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 9:58am
post #3 of 6

Or how about using mini-marshmallows for the trunks?

mmhassa2 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 6

I like the fondant idea but how would I stick it to the cake pop with it bringing down the cake pop with it? Glue it with the candy melt and then dip the entire thing? Im afraid the fondant with start melting as well? The reason I worry is because previously I did minnie mouse and use candy melt as the ears as many suggested only to have the entire ear melt and had to use mini Oreo :S I'll be working on them on Thursday and hoping to find a fool proof way to tackle this. 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 6

I think the trunks were made in advance in the same (similar) colour to the candy melts. You would dip the cake pop, then glue the trunk and ears on with a little candy melt or grey royal icing.

mmhassa2 Posted 1 Dec 2014 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks was able to get the client to change the elephant for zebra :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%