Black Forest Cake With Or W/out Cream?

Baking By tessholly1 Updated 17 Nov 2014 , 8:32am by petitecat

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 9

AI have an order for a Black Forest flavour cake, but it needs to be sculpted into a giant cupcake and covered in fondant!! I've never tried 'black forest' before but every recipe I've seen says to use fresh whipped cream and so I'm worriedas this will not work for this style of cake.. Stacked, sculpted, crumb coated and then covered in fondant!!! Could I use white chocolate ganache instead.. Would this taste as good?!

8 replies
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 5:02am
post #3 of 9

ANooo!!! Lol, sorry

tessholly1 Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 6:50am
post #4 of 9

AOk so thank you for the input, the trouble is my client desperately wants a giant Cupcake however it's for her husband so she wants the top to look like a football sat in the cupcake case, that's why I have to use fondant!! Do you all think it would be best for me to suggest she change the flavour of the cake as black forest just isn't possible?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 7:23am
post #5 of 9

A

Original message sent by tessholly1

Do you all think it would be best for me to suggest she change the flavour of the cake as black forest just isn't possible?

Yes! Whipped cream and fruit do not make for a good fondant covered cake, especially if carving is involved.

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 7:59am
post #6 of 9

Hi there. Going to put a spanner in the works here! I made a Halloween cake but I wanted to make black forest but I also wanted to decorate the cake with fondant. I torted the cake into four layers and after brushing each layer with cherry liqueur I made a dam of dark chocolate ganache. Then I filled with cherry conserve and whipped cream. 

I covered the cake all over with dark chocolate ganache and when it had set, I covered in fondant. Please be aware that whipped cream needs to be refrigerated and I had to place the cake in the fridge after filling and after covering in ganache. It was for personal consumption and I don't offer black forest to paying customers- it's too risky!! 

Here's the cake

petitecat Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 8:01am
post #7 of 9

Oh in case you are wondering about the taste of the cake, everyone thought the dark ganache went well with the flavours of the cherry and cream! I've heard of people flavouring ganache- perhaps you could try this for a little something extra?

tessholly1 Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 8:14am
post #8 of 9

AThank you petitecat, that's really helpful!! Iv been researching and I wonder if I would be able to use stabilised whipped cream between the layers so that it's safer for the client and a bit easier then worrying about fresh whipped cream staying fresh?!

petitecat Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 8:32am
post #9 of 9

AStabilised whipped cream still has to be refrigerated. If you're stabilising with sugar, there's just not enough of it to enable your cake to be kept out of the fridge. Stabilised cream is all about the cream keeping its shape when piped. There's lots of threads about making cakes with perishable fillings, have a search on here and you'll find lots of info

:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%