Just Wanting To Tell Someone Who Cares Lol

Decorating By bubs1stbirthday Updated 19 Nov 2014 , 1:16pm by Elcee

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 7:54am
post #1 of 14

I entered our local cake show today....... when I got to the show I went straight to the cake area, excited to see how my cake looked cut - it was in the category 'café cake' ......... I get there and find that the judge had cut my cake with what appeared to be a butterknife (I came home and cut a slice straight away and it looked lovely so I know it wasn't my cake) and also that whoever put the tag on my cake (the stewards do this) had crushed my carefully prepared butterfly to smitherines and broken off a tail piece on my bird. Super upset that the cake was going to be on display all day like that with my name plastered all over it and ready to cry I went outside and ran into my MIL - who tried to make me feel better with 'well at least you won' lol.

Here is the slice that the 'judge' cut and then the slice I cut (at the end of a day sitting at room temperature and an hours drive home in a warm car). I would show you the cupcakes but all you would see is broken bits of royal icing strewn all over a cupcake.

13 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 10:41am
post #2 of 14

Well the cake looks delicious, soft, moist and very inviting....and you won, well done you!

Now here is a cheer-you-up strategy bound to lift you. 

Its a well known fact that "judges" have more experience, contacts, dirt...whatever, on organisers which is why they get chosen to judge?

Your cake sat there in all it decorated glory and a pang of jealousy cut so deep she had to disfigure it with a butterknife, corkscrew, shoehorn, and the crumbs are the result.

Alternatively she just dived in with fingers it looked so good and had to trim it away with her hat pin

Bubs1stbirthday took 1stprize YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 11:14am
post #3 of 14

@bubs1stbirthday  First Prize.....Well Done You!   It Looks super tasty and your decoration showing in your photo are lovely.

{ I'll bet  you that you find out exactly who did that to your cake, and why in no time at all.}

bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 11:38am
post #4 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaby2 

Well the cake looks delicious, soft, moist and very inviting....and you won, well done you!

Now here is a cheer-you-up strategy bound to lift you. 

Its a well known fact that "judges" have more experience, contacts, dirt...whatever, on organisers which is why they get chosen to judge?

Your cake sat there in all it decorated glory and a pang of jealousy cut so deep she had to disfigure it with a butterknife, corkscrew, shoehorn, and the crumbs are the result.

Alternatively she just dived in with fingers it looked so good and had to trim it away with her hat pin

Bubs1stbirthday took 1stprize YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Lol - this is the first time that I have truly seen the funny side of what happened to my poor cake. Thankyou.

P.S The cake is really yummy - I had to eat the piece I cut unfortunately :grin:

bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 11:44am
post #5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

@bubs1stbirthday  First Prize.....Well Done You!   It Looks super tasty and your decoration showing in your photo are lovely.

{ I'll bet  you that you find out exactly who did that to your cake, and why in no time at all.}

Thankyou :-) It is a very basic cake compared to the beautiful cakes on here but I think it perfectly fitted the bill of 'café cake' category.

Hopefully you are right about finding out who cut my cake like that..... I am not one to take a kicking laying down, the first thing I did when I got home was take a photo of the original slice of cake, cut a piece myself, take photo's of that and send it to the Show Organisers. I asked them to pass on the photo's to the judge in the hopes that she bothers to sharpen her knife next time. Lol next year I will probably find all of my cupcakes broken and the cake smashed on the floor. :???:

cakebaby2 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 14

Or even worse....a great big tongue mark across every single one!

cakebaby2 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 14

Forgot to add, always see the funny side....human beings are ridiculous, we are, even when we're trying to be serious, just look at talking heads and politicians.

No matter what they say, try imagining them in red rubber underwear? It works trust me, you'll neve take them seriously or let anyone make you feel bad again x

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 14

Congratulations! Your cake looks totally delicious!! The judge is probably just a schlemiel, the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed near a knife. 

cakebaby2 Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Congratulations! Your cake looks totally delicious!! The judge is probably just a schlemiel, the kind of person who shouldn't be allowed near a knife. 

Great word Mimi, I practiced saying it with a cleverly constructed bib made from a tea towel (soaking now) and giving it a gutteral inflection, then a Yiddish one. Sounds great in any language. Cheers!

bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 14

Thankyou guys for the compliments but thankyou even more for the funny comments, you definitely helped lighten my view on the 'schle - miel' (thanks for that one Mimi) of a judge. Hope that all have a lovely day / week :-)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 1:40am
post #11 of 14

Being a show organizer myself, I'm just going to throw this out there...it could very well be as simple as whoever was supposed to bring a good knife forgot it. 

Congratulations on your win!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 2:12am
post #12 of 14

Person who forgot the knife, please follow arrow on bottom.

Person who used the knife, please follow arrow on top.

schlemiel_schlimazel_mens_organic_tee-r164c2cb5f6d54f12a09049ef9b3e7e2f_vjfex_512.jpg 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 2:38am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Being a show organizer myself, I'm just going to throw this out there...it could very well be as simple as whoever was supposed to bring a good knife forgot it. 

Congratulations on your win!

Thanks Elcee :-) - when I spoke to the stewards on the day I was told that the Judge brought her own knife to use on the cakes - maybe I will make an edible knife sharpener to sit with my cake next year as a hint lol. I actually had a sharp knife with me as I had packed our little girl an apple and an orange and needed something to cut them with. All day I was just wanting to take my knife up there and re cut it.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 14

They probably would have let you :).  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%