Colour Dots On Fondant

Decorating By CupcakesByP Updated 16 Nov 2014 , 3:48am by georgiacakelady

CupcakesByP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakesByP Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 1:35am
post #1 of 3

AHas this happen to anyone? I mixed black and white fondant to get grey, it was fine when on the first day or two, then after that some bright purple dots started to appear on the fondant. That also happens to my cupcake icing when I colour them purple. Why does this happen and how can I avoid it?[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3305322/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

2 replies
AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 3:15am
post #2 of 3

I'm sorry.. I know exactly how frustrating that is. I've had that happen when I use gel colors that appear "goopy" for lack of a better term. It's happened with both Americolor and Chefmaster, but only with a few bottles... My boss at the bakery where I used to work at once diluted the "goopy" color with water to see more clearly because all us decorators were fed up with it, and it looked like some of the pigment had clumped/not completely dissolved when they were manufacturing the batch (or maybe it's the "bottom of the bowl/end of batch" type thing - I have no idea how gel colors are manufactured so I'm just guessing).

I find it happened most to deep pink (which is in black gel color) and purple in my experience and it didn't matter if it was used to color fondant, buttercream, royal, glaze - all had the same "dots"... at the bakery, we started having to test bottles before using them..

Is your gel color "goopy/clumpy"? If it is, I would suggest maybe trying another bottle of the same color.

Good Luck!

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 3:48am
post #3 of 3

APurple tends to fade and get spots like that when its in the light for long periods of time, did you keep it in a dark place?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%