Drape On 5 Tier Cake

Decorating By crystalscustomcakes Updated 15 Nov 2014 , 7:25pm by -K8memphis

crystalscustomcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalscustomcakes Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing a cake much like this for an Indian wedding.. it will be 5 tiers instead of 3.  My issue is how to do the drape/Sari.... I won't transport a 5 tier already stacked but with the detailing on the sari I'm not sure how to transport it in order to drape it on site once the cake is stacked.

Any suggestions?

The detailing will be painted on rather than piped, but with such a large piece I worry about how to transporting it without it drying out.

It's also an all vegan cake.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 3

i would have all the trim pieces* all piped put together ready to go -- some of them need to be a little curvy -- you could roll out the drape beforehand if you want -- but practice this first so you know what you'll have and mind the temperature of everything -- the colder it gets the less pliable it will be of course -- not a problem in the summer obviously more challenging in the winter  --

you can lay it out on a sheet pan and encase it in plastic wrap and i would lay a dampened/wet towel on top so it stays put -- you could do it in two long pieces to ensure you get the pretty fold -- so one edge is tucked under the fold -- and you can cut it asymetrical too -- so the fold is not perfectly centered all the way down kwim --

or take all your stuff and make sure in advance that you have a nice table somewhere to roll it out on -- make sure the table will be on site during the reception that they don't store it somewhere -- some of those banquet tables are pretty rough under the pretty linens --

*i've looked at this closely before and it looks to me like edible print flowers within/behind the lace pieces or something -- so pretty!

hope all goes well -- would love to see your cake 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 3

but how big are your five tiers -- if you could get some delivery help you might wanna deliver this assembled -- in a nice heavy corrugated cardboard box all sealed up so you can grab hold really well and move with it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%