Question For Topsy Turvy Pros

Decorating By Tutu930 Updated 18 Nov 2014 , 3:01am by Tutu930

Tutu930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tutu930 Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 5

AI began tapering my middle tier (I opted not to taper bottom), but as i was doing it, the bottom layer of that tier began to crumble on a small section. I have a durable cake, so I dont know why. Should I just make another layer and replace? When it began to crumble, I just picked the chunks up and put back on cake. Then I settled the cake. If i keep as is, will that cause the cake to be unstable? I am working with a 12, 9, and 6 inch tiers. Please help! It is due tomorrow! Thanks!!!

4 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 5

AWithout a picture to see how big of an area crumbled it is tought to say if it will work or not. But, If you are using ganache as your icing then you should be fine. I only use ganache as icing on topsy turvy cakes and it locks everything into place.

If you are using buttercream I still think you will be fine. Just make sure to chill the cake really well before delivery.

Tutu930 Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

AThank you so much for your reply!! I have baked another layer just to be safe. I have the cake settling. You mentioned that you ganache all of your cakes...do you find that most people liike it? I was nervous about trying it because not everyone is a chocolate lover. I would love to try it!! How does ot go over with your clients?? This cake has to travel so that may be safe...where can I find a recipe? I am very new (since yesterday) so I am happy to receive help from those who really enjoy their craft!! Thank you again!!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 17 Nov 2014 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

AI use white chocolate ganache under my fondant. The white chocolate is similar to buttercream in that the flavor is neutral. Plus, if I have to remove the fondant because it tore, cracked, I knicked it with my finger nail... the white doesn't discolor the fondant. So I can roll the same piece out which saves me materials which saves me money.

I don't give clients a choice. I tell them "my fondant covered cakes are iced in white chocolate ganache". I like the finish better and the ganache gives me added security.

I use a 3:1 ratio (3 parts white chocolate to 1 part heavy whipping cream). I make the ganache the day before I need it and let it cool down on my counter. Don't put it in the fridge or it will be hard as a rock. Sometimes I have to tweak the recipe depending on the temp outside, humidity... But most of the time a 3:1 ratio works.

For chocolate ganache I use a 2:1 ratio.

Tutu930 Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 3:01am
post #5 of 5

AThank you so much for responding...makea good sense...I will definitely take your advice!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%