Figurine Help

Decorating By carrotandcream Updated 14 Nov 2014 , 3:08am by carrotandcream

carrotandcream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotandcream Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hi All!

I am working on making a mermaid that will sit on the edge of a cake. I have skewered her main body and am waiting for it to dry, but the skewer is not secured in the fondant/is able to move up and down.

I added some tylose powder glue before inserting, and also tried without and neither seems to help the sliding situation. 

Also, once building your figurine on the styrofoam form, how do you remove them? I can't imagine how particularly with this skewer situation.

Thanks in advance!!

Kerry

2 replies
mintbelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mintbelly Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 1:34am
post #2 of 3

Royal icing is your best bet, place a small dab under your figurine. Unlike tylose glue royal icing dries fast and hard. As for removing your figurine from the styro, make sure it is super hard, like a day and a half drying period has commenced, insert your small metal spatula under the figurine, then push your spatula down into the styro, insert a small scissor in between your spatula and figurine, clamp your scissor gently into your skewer (but do not use enough force to cut your skewer), then gently shimmy your figurine up with your scissor half way, set aside your spatula and with your free hand pull out the rest of the skewer up and away from the styro ever so gently.

carrotandcream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotandcream Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 3:08am
post #3 of 3

thank you, thank you, thank you!!! this is exactly the description I needed. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%