What Is The Best For Small Alphabet Mold

Decorating By connois-sugar Updated 14 Nov 2014 , 2:30pm by connois-sugar

connois-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connois-sugar Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 6

AI am trying to make some edible alphabets with a small (1/2) inch alphabets mold. It is made of silicone and all the alphabets molds are in 1 square. I tried using melted chocolate, but when I take the pieces out, they fall apart. I am in the process of using very thick royal icing. Is there anything else that would work? Would something like fondant work or would it be too hard to squeeze through the small spaces? Any other suggestions??

5 replies
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

Try tempering your chocolate before putting it in the mold.

connois-sugar Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 6

AI was using compound chocolate, but either way I give up trying anything that becomes rigid. I don't decorate cakes, so I don't have any fondant to try with. Though, from watching various mold how to videos, i see now you are supposed to use fondant. Anyways, I will try with marzipan and hope it works. I didn't realize how many trial and errors were involved in things like this. I just wanted to make them for my son's reading party.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 6

Marzipan might work, try freezing the mold once the marzipan is in for 10 mins or so, to see if it comes out easily.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by connois-sugar 

I am trying to make some edible alphabets with a small (1/2) inch alphabets mold. It is made of silicone and all the alphabets molds are in 1 square. I tried using melted chocolate, but when I take the pieces out, they fall apart. I am in the process of using very thick royal icing. Is there anything else that would work? Would something like fondant work or would it be too hard to squeeze through the small spaces? Any other suggestions??

For the silicone mold try making a batch of simple marshmallow fondant.  Freeze the mold for a few minutes to gently firm up the MMF and pop them out.

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/marshmallow-fondant-mmf

compound chocolate like to be molded in plastic molds such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EJM492/?tag=cakecentral-20+mold+alphabet

connois-sugar Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks for the tips! The mazipan worked great for the molds. I had no idea about the compound chocolate and plastic mold worked bettter! I always assumed plastic meant cheap. So, that is why people use acetate for molding chocolate? Or...

I am getting ahead of myself. I am just a newbie trying to make stuff and not follow directions. I am paying for that.

I will definitely try the fondant recipe as soon as I get my hands on some marshmallows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%