Fondant Breaks

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 15 Nov 2014 , 12:34pm by cakelove2105

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 16

Hello cake lovers,

Does anybody have some tips as to how to avoid the fondant dryness and cracking? I made a cake today, and right when I had the fondant over my cake to cover it, it cracked and broke. My cake then had a big whole on one of its sides. I would also love some suggestions on how to fix it when something like this happens..

I'm pretty new at fondant decorating, so bare with me here lol

Thank you all in advance. 

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 12:42am
post #2 of 16

Was it homemade?  What brand?     It;s hard to advise without more info.

cakelove2105 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 1:16am
post #3 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Was it homemade?  What brand?     It;s hard to advise without more info.

Hi kakelady, thank you. I made it from marshmallows myself. I added I little bit of  corn syrup to the mix. Finally, I kneaded it with half sugar glass half corn starch on my table. I was thinking that it might had to do with the corn starch. In addition, my fondant was not elastic at all. help, what am I doing wrong?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 1:36am
post #4 of 16

I used to make MMF and never had any luck with it, no doubt lots of people use it successfully but I never found a recipe that worked and I always found it so messy to make.

I found a new recipe and although there are more ingredients it is so simple and so much better than MMF that I have never looked back. It was posted by Costumczar in another thread. I will post the link and you can just go through the thread and find her post.

Hmm - I can't seem to copy and post the link for some reason.... temperamental computer.

The thread is called - Ready made fondant vs homemade - if you search that you will find the thread, I will try later to post the link again.

cakelove2105 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 1:40am
post #5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday 

I used to make MMF and never had any luck with it, no doubt lots of people use it successfully but I never found a recipe that worked and I always found it so messy to make.

I found a new recipe and although there are more ingredients it is so simple and so much better than MMF that I have never looked back. It was posted by Costumczar in another thread. I will post the link and you can just go through the thread and find her post.

Hmm - I can't seem to copy and post the link for some reason.... temperamental computer.

The thread is called - Ready made fondant vs homemade - if you search that you will find the thread, I will try later to post the link again.

Thank you so much bubs1stbirthday

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 3:13am
post #6 of 16

.......MMF and never had any luck with it.........

Yeah same here :(

.......half sugar glass half corn starch..........

Yikes!  Not a clue what this means :(

When you made you MMF did you follow a recipe to the letter?  I know I have said in several threads that one does not always need to stick to a recipe but in this case I think it is very needed :)   And......since I have only made this maybe 2-3 times I don't know how to advise you further.  Maybe our posts will catch the eye of someone who can help you better.

Also in general some people have had better luck rolling out fondant by very lightly coating their rolling surface w/shortening instead of using a dust of sugar/cornstarch.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 4:34am
post #7 of 16

AWas the hole there because it ripped or what? I have had problems with mmf when I didn't use enough syrup with it. I guess you sift the icing sugar? If not the lumps of sugar can cause it to tear as well (besides having ugly white spots all over. I rest my fondant normally for a day (room temperature) and knead again. I don't know if it is the marshmallows I'm using or what, but for some reason they tempt to dry out a bot more after I finished the mmf, so if I put too much icing sugar and it looks fine after I finished it looks like cellulite stage 3 the next day. When I make mmf now, I add about 1/2 cup less, cover it in shortening, wrap, rest and reknead the next day. Works good for me

cakelove2105 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

Was the hole there because it ripped or what?
I have had problems with mmf when I didn't use enough syrup with it. I guess you sift the icing sugar? If not the lumps of sugar can cause it to tear as well (besides having ugly white spots all over. I rest my fondant normally for a day (room temperature) and knead again. I don't know if it is the marshmallows I'm using or what, but for some reason they tempt to dry out a bot more after I finished the mmf, so if I put too much icing sugar and it looks fine after I finished it looks like cellulite stage 3 the next day. When I make mmf now, I add about 1/2 cup less, cover it in shortening, wrap, rest and reknead the next day. Works good for me

Hi julia1812, thank you. I add one tbs of corn syrup and three of water, does that have to do with anything? Its been always like this; however, it didn't bother me before because I used fondant just to make figures and its dryness kind of worked for me (even though the cracking-looking wasn't pretty at all), but now that I decided to cover my cakes with it, it's not fun anymore.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 16

AWell, don't know your recipe. But when I make mmf, I add 3 heaped tbsps of syrup, 3 tbsps of butter and one tbsp water. And later looots of shortening when kneading. Roughly 800g of icing sugar, but I don't measure that, I just stop when it feels right...

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 16

I would recommend you try lmf fondant (Liz Marek Fondant), you can google the reicpe.  She also has a you tube video on how it's made.  Basically it's mmf with some store bought fondant mixed in.  I used to hate working with fondant now I love it!

cakelove2105 Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 3:59am
post #11 of 16

Thank you all. I'll give it a try to lmf. let's see how it goes :)

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 6:23am
post #12 of 16

THE MAT

http://sweetwise.com/the-mat-all.html#page=1&top=178&

How to Cover a Cake with Fondant Using THE MAT by Sweet Wise

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 11:00am
post #13 of 16

Get a piece of the fondant you were using and add a bit of a water at a time until it makes a paste. Then use this to paint over your cracks. It's very effective in covering up things like fingernail marks etc and when it dries you can't tell.

cakelove2105 Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 1:15am
post #14 of 16

Thank you smysha. goodvibration very useful videos. thanks.

patriciareed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciareed Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 4:14am
post #15 of 16

love Liz  mareks fondant

cakelove2105 Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 12:34pm
post #16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriciareed 

love Liz  mareks fondant

I've seen a couple of videos of her. She's so talented on what she does. She's an artist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%