Help! What Happened To My Fondant?

Decorating By storestore Updated 3 Feb 2015 , 4:59pm by storestore

storestore Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 25

I was attempting to make a deep red fondant and was advised to color it pink first, then add red while kneeding. I added the pink gel (and what was left of my liquid red food coloring for good measure) to my melted marshmallows then proceeded to kneed powdered sugar and add red gel and by the time was done it started cracking and now it had a bunch of little holes! I've heard that when this happens it is because the fondant is too dry, but I only added 6 out of the 8 cups of powdered sugar, plus part of the coloring was liquid, about 20 drops. What went wrong?

24 replies
storestore Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 25

I also would like to know why the above picture appeared under "newest cakes" lol.

ellavanilla Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 25

add a tiny bit of water and knead again and then let it rest, covered, for 30 minutes. Like any dough a lot of working (like when you're adding a dark color) just damages the texture. 

storestore Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 25

Okay, now I'm mad. The same thing just started happening to my blue batch of fondant. This time, I added the gel after I made the fondant and it was perfect consistency. I wrapped it and let it sit. It wasn't dark enough so I started adding more blue and now same thing! I have a bunch of ugly little holes and it doesn't stretch. I've added and added and added drops of water, probably a couple of tablespoons now with no change. Help!

DeniseNH Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 1:32am
post #5 of 25

Did you use an inferior brand of marshmallows?  I use Kraft Mini's only and the best powdered sugar.  Some powdered sugars have a lot of corn starch in them to prevent clumping but this changes the consistency of the MMF.  Try adding another cup of powdered sugar as you said you only added 6 cups out of the 8.

Sometimes when mine gets like that, I put the blob into my microwave and heat it up for 30 seconds and rework it.

storestore Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 3:16am
post #6 of 25

I used Kraft Minis and Roger's powdered sugar. I tried adding more icing sugar. That did not fix it. I ended up remaking both batches (two different colors), adding the gel during the melting process (praying I did not add too much because I knew if I tried to knead the gel in afterwards the problem would happen again). It still came out looking like the picture I posted but not as bad. I used it anyways. It seems to only be a problem when I add color.

reginaherrin Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 4:14am
post #7 of 25

It looks like you may have overworked it.  I do would pop it back in the microwave and instead of adding water I would add some shortening.  Sorry this is happening. 

FlourPots Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 6:08am
post #8 of 25

It was mentioned already, but microwaving should absolutely fix it...

My fondant looks exactly like that when I make red or black...warming it, then kneading a little, and it's perfect.

JSKConfections Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 25

Remember too when making marshmallow fondant I was taught to always use C & H powder sugar because its made with cane sugar others are made with beet sugar and it makes a difference I have found.  Unfortunatley not many companies put ingredients on the pkg, it just says sugar and cornstarch, not the type of sugar.

storestore Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 25

Hi, everyone. Thank you for your feedback. I tried all of your guys' advice and unfortunately still had no luck. It seems to be a problem with coloring. I finally came across a link that spoke directly to my issue and I am going to try her advice. Tylose powder! It makes sense because my fondant just seems to lose elasticity after coloring. This might just be the right fix! Here is the link.

remnant3333 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 25

I am so glad that everyone I make cakes for in my family hate fondant!! I have heard some horror stories about getting fondant just right.  I have never tried to cover a cake in fondant but I am sure if you keep trying you will get it right.  Hope you figure out how to fix it. Good luck!! The fondant, if done correctly is beautiful.   Don't give up just keep trying!! 

FioreCakes Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 25

Out of curiosity, do you prefer homemade for the flavor? For all this trouble and the volume of color it takes to reach the desired color it seems more cost effective to just buy pre-colored red fondant. It's more cost effective if you take into consideration your time to make the fondant even at $10/ hour. 

storestore Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 25

AYou're right, Fiore. I think that will be my next step! Buy it premise of it is going to be a certain color.

Fayd Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 25

AYou need a lot of colouring to achieve the desired red or black and that allows the fondant to lose its consistency. I always buy the red, black and Christmas green and deep pink. It just saves a lot of hassle, stress trying to achieve the desired colour and fondant since you don't risk throwing a batch away. When I first started cake decorating, I wanted to make my own fondant, so I did. Bad call! The marshmallow was sticky, it took a while to knead and achieve the right consistency and when I coloured it, the fondant became wet so I would add powered sugar and then it would get dry. It was a cycle that didn't end. It was late at night once and was doing a cake was for my sons birthday party the next day and was having issues with my fondant. I was so stressed because I couldn't rush out and buy fondant. When I put it on the cake, it was so dry, it was creating cracks on the cake. I tried everything to save it, nothing worked. Since then, I swore of making my own fondant. I just buy the big tub of the white and then colour what I need. Work out what's best for you but I'm sure you wouldn't want to waste your time worrying about fondant issues but rather use your time enjoying decorating. Best of luck :-)

storestore Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 25

You've all been so helpful. Thank you! I'm in Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could purchase premade fondant at a good price?

Fayd Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 25

AI am from Australia but have visited Canada twice and it's a beautiful country. Search on google, I'm sure you can find heaps. I had a look for you and found these. and

storestore Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 4:13am
post #17 of 25

Update: Well, I went out and bought premade Virgin Ice fondant from bulk barn. It was white and I kneaded it for about 60 seconds with green wilton gel, rolled it out, began covering my cake and at first I thought "This is the best! I am never going back!" and then it began... the cracks... all around the edge of the top of the cake. *sigh*

mattyeatscakes Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 4:35am
post #18 of 25

Original message sent by storestore

Update: Well, I went out and bought premade Virgin Ice fondant from bulk barn. It was white and I kneaded it for about 60 seconds with green wilton gel, rolled it out, began covering my cake and at first I thought "This is the best! I am never going back!" and then it began... the cracks... all around the edge of the top of the cake. *sigh*

^^^^ this!!! Yes, same thing happened to me too! I have used the Virgin Ice brand from bulkbarn, white, red and black! I hated it, not stretchy at all, and cracks on the edges of the cake :( boo.. So MMF for me! Have worked best for me (so far!) :)

Naivohw Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 4:37am
post #19 of 25

When I cover a cake in fondant (and I haven't done a ton of them) I make sure to immediately smooth the fondant onto the top of the cake and about 1" down all the way around. When I don't, I find the weight of the fondant starts to pull it down the cake, and cracks form along the top edge as it pulls down. Once it is well stuck onto the cake top and the first 1" down the sides, it tends to hold itself up well and gives me time to smooth the sides on without worrying about the fondant getting cracks from pulling.

Another possibility could be that it is getting "elephant skin" texture. I *think* it is caused by the fondant being too dry. I used to use powdered sugar to keep my fondant from sticking to the counter as I rolled it out (I don't have a fancy mat yet) and it would get the cracked texture on the cake. I starting rubbing some shortening on the counter instead, and my fondant doesn't get the elephant skin problem any more.

storestore Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 5:53am
post #20 of 25

Hi, Naivohw.  Thanks for your thoughts! I did use shortening when I rolled out my fondant, not powdered sugar or cornstarch. However, I really like your thought about the weight of the fondant causing cracks. I'll have to tryyour suggestion on my next cake tomorrow.  Thanks!

ropalma Posted 21 Nov 2014 , 3:51pm
post #21 of 25

I make my own Red and Black Fondant by adding candy melts.  When you melt the marshmallow also melt candy melts separately in the color that you want.  Once melted mix the candy melts and the marshmallow.  If you want a stronger color add a few drops of gel coloring.  This works every time.  If you are making the MMF coloring the melted marshmallow is much easier than coloring white fondant.

storestore Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 2:36pm
post #22 of 25

Ropalma, that's a good idea. It seems that once I add gel color to fondant, the gel breaks down whatever it is that makes the fondant elasticy. Maybe candy melts don't do this? How much do I need?

ButtercreamAndBacon Posted 30 Jan 2015 , 2:46pm
post #23 of 25

AStorestore, I don't know where in Canada you are, but if you can find Satin Ice, it is much better and doesn't crack like virgin ice.

ropalma Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 12:49pm
post #24 of 25

I make my own Red and Black fondant.

10oz Generic Mini Marshmallows
Approximately 1 1/2 lbs Powdered Sugar, Sifted
4oz (approx 1/2 Cup) melted Wilton Red Candy Melts
1/3 tsp Americolor Super Red (very little, less than what I use on a Red Velvet Cake!)
1 Tbs Water

Melt the marshmallows and the Candy Melts Separate.  Once melted combine, this will give you pretty dark red.  Then adding the small amount of color will not change the fondant.  It works every time.  I do this for any dark colors.

storestore Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:59pm
post #25 of 25

Brilliant! Can't wait to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%