Topsy Turvy Cake.....any Tips?

Decorating By cakesbyfancy Updated 12 Nov 2014 , 10:19pm by -K8memphis

cakesbyfancy Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 2

Hey ya'll. I've been asked by a family member to do my very first topsy turvy cake for a sweet 16 party. I've never done a Topsy Turvy cake before, but I've searched and I know I can do it. Just need to know what type of cake to use ( they've requested strawberry and just regular yellow.) Would a pound cake be better for carving? Thanks :D 

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 2

i use regular non-pound cake for my tt cakes -- i use doctored mixes for this because i keep these cakes cold for security -- adds that invisible cohesiveness especially for delivery --

cakes made with butter do not relax back to their former soft texture after they've been in the fridge -- some people would describe it as 'dry' because it does not slide down the throat the same after it comes back to room temp -- but it's really just the butter staying firm* -- if you microwave it for 5 seconds it will be the same as when it came out of the oven -- but of course you can't microzap it if it's already iced -- so i use box mixes with extra ingredients or i use scratch cakes made with oil not butter --

*often people who make pie crust or decorated cookies like to freeze the dough because of this tightening up -- even though it will go into the hot oven it bakes different than being kept at room temp or even refrigerated -- try it out sometime but maybe you already do this -- clearly i just got to rambling :D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%