Imitation Gold Leaf On Dummy

Decorating By cupcake-queen Updated 13 Nov 2014 , 3:16pm by cupcake-queen

cupcake-queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake-queen Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 3:07am
post #1 of 8

Hi all!  Crazy question here: can I use imitation gold leaf (non-edible) on a dummy cake?  

The obvious answer to me would be yes, since no one is consuming the cake but I have my doubts.  I am making dummy cakes for photo shoots and am looking for a cheaper alternative to save on costs to help keep within budget.  As you all know gold leaf is uber trendy right now, but the price difference is crazy.  $65 (CAD) vs $10 for a booklet.  I am aware that the imitation gold will 'tarnish', however, if I do it a few days before the shoot I'm thinking it will be fine.  My main concern is if it can be applied the same way to fondant.  Anyone every try this?  Does this seem like a good or bad idea?

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 12:51am
post #2 of 8

If I remember correctly I did - yrs ago.  Should not need any prep - just bursh it o/over the fondant.

Another option is to paint it w/liquid artist paint.  I've done that.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 3:47am
post #3 of 8

I've used a non-edible gold leaf on dummies.  Depending on the kind you purchase, you may need to use a spray adhesive.  (that's what I used)

cupcake-queen Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 5:10am
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for the tips klan30 and kakeladi!  Great!  I'm gonna give it a go!  I wonder how long it will last looking gold before it tarnishes?  Hoping at least a week or two.  Can't wait to try this :)

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 5:33am
post #5 of 8

I did mine a couple of months ago and it still looks great

cupcake-queen Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 5:36am
post #6 of 8

klan30 so which type did you use that required the spray adhesive.  I was planning on purchasing the booklet leaf type.  They look like they are on sheets/transfers.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 8

Kara from" a cake to remember" blog has a tutorial on this . She is costumeczar here on CC. If you look at her avatar you'll be directed to her blog.

cupcake-queen Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks cakebaby2, I found the blog posts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%