Baking Ahead!

Baking By sapphirecupcake Updated 9 Nov 2014 , 7:41pm by Dayti

sapphirecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sapphirecupcake Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hello.

I have been asked to make 600 cupcakes for next weekend (15th&16th)

I have so far made 250 cupcakes and frozen them properly.

I have now ran out of space in the freezer for my cakes and I have read that I can make my cupcakes a few days ahead of the event... is that true?

I have 14 more batches to do, which I personally think I can do over 2 days (I have a full time job)

I have all my transportation boxes (24 hole cupcake boxes) all ready...

Can i make the cakes say tuesday and wednesday and ready to decorate with buttericing on thursday and friday ready for the weekend?

Thanks for any advice :)

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 4

I would start the rest of the baking earliest Weds night and then Thurs. Decorate all on Friday. The ones that are frozen can be boxed and decorated while frozen and I would try and use for Sunday, and the ones that were baked fresh I would use first on Saturday.

Use the time between now and Weds to get your buttercream made and put into disposable bags ready to use on Friday. You don´t need an icing tip in each bag - take a spare empty bag to put the tip in. When ready to start icing snip the end off one of the filled bags and put it straight into the one with the tip in. When you've emptied it, remove and replace with another full one. This is the quickest way to do it. And its easiest to ice them in their boxes in my opinion, rather than icing all on the table and then packing.

Good luck!

sapphirecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sapphirecupcake Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 4

Perhaps a silly question Dayti... but I make my butter icing by using 250g butter to 500g icing sugar. will i freeze this once made or chill in the fridge. Can i make this on the Tuesday? how do you go about softening it again as it will obviously solidify over time?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 4

You can either make it and leave it at room temp, or if you have space in the fridge and would prefer to stash it in there, take it out on Thursday night before bed so it is at room temp in the morning (or Friday morning if you will be decorating after work Friday). 

Bear in mind if you use about 40g-50g per cupcake, you are looking at 24kg-30kg of icing...that takes up a lot of space! I can get about 1kg of icing in a 40cm icing bag if I use all the way down to the tip, and I use those plastic bag clippits from Ikea to close them. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%