What Topping Would Be Best For Ted Velvet?

Decorating By Redribbon Updated 10 Nov 2014 , 7:43am by Redribbon

Redribbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redribbon Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 10:40am
post #1 of 6

AIf I were to bake a red velvet cake for a birthday I know traditionally cream cheese frosting is the way to go but decoration is perhaps limited for a toddler. Would fondant suit this type of cake?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 6

the sky's the limit -- but i would not feed that much food color to a wee one

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

and if god ever sees fit to give me grandchildren i will make nice calm colorless glazed vanilla pound cake for their little birthdays -- i already have a castle pan and a train pan and...

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

I cover my red velvet with a crusting cream cheese frosting before I put fondant on it, and it works just fine. I use Earlene's which doesn't have a ton of cream cheese in it, but it still gives the traditional flavor combination people expect with red velvet.

http://www.earlenescakes.net./icings.htm

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 9 Nov 2014 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 6

when I'm doing a decorated red velvet, I use my cream cheese BC as the filling and IMBC on the outside. 

my view is that people like RV because they like the cream cheese, so I don't like to leave it out completely. 

Redribbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redribbon Posted 10 Nov 2014 , 7:43am
post #6 of 6

AYes k8 memphis you are right about colour and little ones, I actually changed my mind every day last week about how the cake would be. I'll do a red velvet just for us and a vanilla sponge for the birthday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%