Fondant Over Smbc

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 8 Nov 2014 , 10:57am by julia1812

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Nov 2014 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

AI recently did my first batch of smbc and loooved it! Now I'm thinking about using it on some of the cakes, but am quite anxious to try. All cakes I've done so far are ABC buttercream filling with fondant or ganache for adults. I live at the equator, so it's hot. So far never had a problem, because I torte and cover the cakes the day (morning) of delivery. Never put them in the fridge since my fondants get all wet and runny when I take the cake out (mmf and a Michelle Foster variation alike). Now with smbc I would obviously keep it in the fridge... Not sure if it'll work. I search the forum for answers but can't find what I'm looking for. a) does the cake need to be in a box to avoid humidity getting to it? And if so, what sort of box? b) when I bring the cake back to room temperature, won't the smbc run out? Because in 30•C butter is getting almost liquid when left outside. c) what about gum paste details?

When I made the smbc trial, I frosted a mini cake straight away and my family ate it immediately... Guess the easiest way to find out is to try, but would appreciate tips from the pros here before I do!

4 replies
julia1812 Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

AAnyone...?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 8:17am
post #3 of 5

AYou can cover SMBC or IMBC with fondant. Many decorators do it all the time. Fondant actually acts as an insulator, so when it's warmer out, the buttercream is protected, and won't soften as fast. I've never had my buttercream 'melt.' Just get really really soft in an 85 degree room.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 9:45am
post #4 of 5

AJust about every cake I make is fondant over smbc, and I live in a very hot place from about May thru November. But the humidity is relatively low, so it's more or less a dry heat. We all have air conditioning here, everywhere, home, business, venues, vehicles, so the heat never plays too much into the cake, it's not really an issue for me while I'm working on the cake or transporting it, and it's in a cool room where it's delivered to. Not sure how helpful that's going to be. I couldn't possibly work with it and fondant if I didn't have the air con, I can tell you that much. And a dry refrigerator.

julia1812 Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 10:57am
post #5 of 5

AMhh, it's seems to be tricky, that's for sure! Most days we have 86F and we don't have air condition at home. Even if, many people don't, so I don't want to deliver the cake somewhere and it's melting away before it gets cut... I guess the filling of smbc between cake layers would need to be very thin too to prevent it from getting squished out by the weight of the cake. Was actually planning on a trial today, but forgot to buy butter :( Will have to wait until next week. I really hope it'll work somehow since I am so sick and tired of ABC!!! Thanks for your comments so far and if there's any other doomed baker (lol) out there producing smbc fondant cakes successfully without a/c, please post your experience, comments!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%